Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! My Mac mail uses another person's name in stead of mine in the "from" heading when trying to send e-mail. How can I fix this?

Mac mail started using another person's name instead of mine. In the "From" line it shows someone other than me so the receipient will not know I am sending them an e-mail. HELP!, This is crazy. Is there a fix?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2014 7:28 AM

I have solved this for myself, i had the same thing. My step daughters name was coming up on my E-mail. I searched my mac for her name. She showed up in my contacts/address book. Her name was in there with my e-mail address on her contact. I deleted the contact problem solved, you could proably edit it.

I hope this helps

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2014 7:28 AM in response to Community User

I have solved this for myself, i had the same thing. My step daughters name was coming up on my E-mail. I searched my mac for her name. She showed up in my contacts/address book. Her name was in there with my e-mail address on her contact. I deleted the contact problem solved, you could proably edit it.

I hope this helps

Mar 5, 2012 10:43 AM in response to Community User

That's odd. Try opening Mail, go to Preferences, select Accounts.

Select the account you are interested in, check that the account information and names shown there are all correct.

Then go to the Composing tab and check that "send new mesages from" indicates the right thing.

Finally, when you are creating messages in Mail, make sure that you have selected the right account/name in the "From" field, which lets you choose from whom the email comes from.

Mar 5, 2012 9:24 PM in response to Community User

Does this problem happen EVERY time you send an email?

Do you see the wrong FROM entry before you hit the send button? Or does the recipient report seeing another name other than yours?

Do you recognize the incorrect name being shown? Is it something you or someone else using your machine have ever used? Is it a name you have never heard of before?

Go to your SENT folder in Apple Mail. What do you see when you open one of your SENT emails, in the FROM slot? Is the name correct or incorrect?

Also, I don't understand your comment "I noticed it when I try to send a link via e-mail to another person." are you saying that when you paste a link into an email to someone that your name in the FROM field changes? Where are you putting the link, in what place in the email?

Aug 9, 2013 11:33 AM in response to steve626

I have this problem, too. The "from" bar has 3 choices and they all hvae my .mac, .me, and .cloud email with my partner's name linked to all of them! If I email, it ust shows up to other people as me, as it is my email address. Just the wrong name is linked on my new computer. And it is with her middle initial, which she does not use on her mac account.

Her name shows up in the sent folder.

Thanks in advanced if you have any advice!

Marcey

Apr 14, 2015 9:21 PM in response to Community User

I had the same problem and have just fixed it. You cannot use the preferences in Mail or the computers system preferences. You have to log into your iCloud account on the web at iCloud.com and then click the email icon and go to preferences. Heres the link i found to be very useful.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-change-your-icloud-mail-full-name/

Aug 18, 2015 10:02 PM in response to nidrill

I was very frustrated - checking and trying all sorts of things in both Mail and iCloud account and name preference settings as directed by some of the answers here and from other postings about this problem. Then I went to the friend's name that now was seemingly intractably associated with my "to:" and "from" mail . I noticed that somehow (operator error?) MY phone number was on there. I made a new card for her with only HER info on it and deleted the old card. I'm hopeful that this is the fix.

Sep 8, 2015 10:57 PM in response to Community User

I am having a similar problem, but the email that I am using in not an apple email.

My wife was sending an invoice via MYOB to client, and somehow, now the email address she was sending FROM, will say that clients name when I try to send email TO it, from within Apple Mail. This does not happen if I use AirMail and it happens on all our computers, so it appears to be tied to the contacts. IF I look in our contacts both locally and on iCloud, I can not see this clients name anywhere, and even so, I would not think that MYOB could modify Apple Contacts.

it is a real mystery. The email get sent from our address, it just changes the recipient's name to this clients name.

Would love to stop this happening.

Craig

PS, this is on 10.10.4, and the most current Apple Mail / Contacts apps.

Nov 13, 2015 10:15 AM in response to Community User

I had this problem in my gmail account that comes into my Apple mail on my Mac, but only some of the messages were coming to someone else and some were still showing my correct name. At least for me, what happened is that I used the automatic feature in mail to create a new contact. At the time, I did not notice that the contact card in the address book had put in my email address. I went to Mail>Window>Previous Recipients and deleted the address there, but the problem was not fixed until I also changed the listing in my address book and replaced my email with his. I am not sure why it took several days after I created a contact for him for the problem to start happening, but this fix

worked for me and I hope it will help at least some of you.

Help! My Mac mail uses another person's name in stead of mine in the "from" heading when trying to send e-mail. How can I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.