Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are autofill values stored?

I regularly export and save my Safari bookmarks in case I'm ever stuck having to use a different computer.

Now I've just thought - I have several forums where I never have to remember username and password as Safari remembers them for me. It would be very useful to export and back those up too. But, where are they held? My guess is ~/Library/Safari/Form Values. However, when I tried to confirm this by opening in TextEdit, it was in the form of unreadable symbols. Nevertheless, is that the file I need to backup?

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), G4, 1.67GHz, 1GB RAM, 250GB HD

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 3:08 PM

2 replies

Mar 5, 2012 3:28 PM in response to christopher rigby1

Not exactly. The "Form Values" document is the document that stores information pertaining to filling out online forms. It just has your name, email, and all that other stuff that will pop up when you fill out a form that requires information, not passwords. If passwords were stored there, it would be very insecure, as you can access that file without a password.

All your passwords are stored in the helper application "Keychain." You can either open that application directly, select the files you want to copy, hit the copy button down below, and enter your keychain password, or you can go to ~/Library/Keychains, and copy the keychain you want to save somewhere else. I am sure the first one works, but not so sure about the second one, since I've never had to try it.

The random symbols in the form values file mean something to the computer, just like the file it bases it's junk mail algorithm off of, and countless other things only the computer needs to see or understand.

Good luck!

Where are autofill values stored?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.