5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2012 4:52 AM by Jerrold Green1
James Thomson Level 1 Level 1 (85 points)

I do my checking account in Numbers and it is a long document with a few thousand rows.

I save the document after working in it, but when opening the document up later it takes you to a totally different place in the document.  Shouldn't it open where I last worked in the document at the moment that I saved it?  Is it possible to make it save to where last working in it?

Thanks,

James

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • Barry Level 7 Level 7 (29,215 points)

Hi James,

Numbers should open to the cell that was selected when it was last Saved. In my experience, that's been the default behaviour.

Here are a couple of workarounds you could use if the problem persists.

1. Use a marker.
      • Enter a unique text value (eg. ###) into the first cell you will use for data entry the next time you open the document. When you open the document, if it doesn't open to that location, press command-F, enter the unique text value, then click on its single appearance in the list that opens under the main pane. You'll be taken directly to that cell.
      or
      • Create a single cell table, name it "Here", and enter that word (or a unique text value) into the cell. Drag the table to a location close to where you were working. When you next open the document, click the icon in the Sheets list for the "here" table. The table will be brought to the front and onto the screen.

2. Use Reorganize dialogue to set a rule to show only a limited set of the rows in the table, such as this example:
      Picture 19.png
      Note that Header rows continue to show, despite not fitting the rules.
      Unchecking the checkbox immediately unhides the hidden rows to allow viewing the whole table.

Regards,

Barry

• James Thomson Level 1 Level 1 (85 points)

Thanks Barry for so much information.  Including fact that Numbers should open to place last when saved, at least I know it's supposed to be doing this and I could even figure out why it's not doing this.  But your work arounds are also very helpful.  Changing to Numbers from Excell was kind of a big deal for me.  That's the one "PC" software that always seemed easier for me, though I haven't used it now for many years, and yet I still find Numbers to be not very intuitive and I doubt very much that I am using it to it's fullest for my own needs and do many things in longhand because I just don't know Numbers, even after many years of using it.  Anyway, thanks for the help. 

James

• Jerrold Green1 Level 7 Level 7 (29,935 points)

James Thomson wrote:

Thanks Barry for so much information. Including fact that Numbers should open to place last when saved, at least I know it's supposed to be doing this and I could even figure out why it's not doing this.  But your work arounds are also very helpful.  Changing to Numbers from Excell was kind of a big deal for me.  That's the one "PC" software that always seemed easier for me, though I haven't used it now for many years, and yet I still find Numbers to be not very intuitive and I doubt very much that I am using it to it's fullest for my own needs and do many things in longhand because I just don't know Numbers, even after many years of using it.  Anyway, thanks for the help. 

James

James,

If a cell was selected, Numbers will not open with the last selected cell selected, and will try to open with that cell visible IF you are using 100% view zoom. With a larger zoom factor, Numbers will open to where that cell would have been if you had been working at 100% zoom, which may not be on screen for you. But, it may be close, depending.

If when you open your document opens there is a cell selected, it's content will be showing in the Formula Bar. If you place the text insertion cursor at the end of the content displayed in the Formula Bar and hit Return or Tab, your view will jump to the cell just below or to the right of that previously selected cell.

Regards,

Jerry

• Barry Level 7 Level 7 (29,215 points)

"and will try to open with that cell visible IF you are using 100% view zoom."

Thanks for filling in the details, Jerry. I had a feeling I'd forgotten something last night.

Regards,

Barry

• Jerrold Green1 Level 7 Level 7 (29,935 points)

Barry,

I made an error in the first sentence that I thought I corrected before posting, but I guess not. I wrote:

"If a cell was selected, Numbers will not open with the last selected..." and I meant to write:

If a cell was selected when you last Saved, Numbers will open with the last selected..."

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Jerry