Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to only sync certain mailboxes?

I have 15 years of email in my system. At the end of very year I make a folder and archive the past year's post. I do not want to load all that mail to the cloud.

Is there a way of just syncing the inbox, sent and trash folders?

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 4:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 8:25 AM

All iCloud mail, being IMAP, lives on the server; all mailboxes listed under 'iCloud' as opposed to 'On My Mac' live on the server so you can move items between iCloud mailboxes without any uploading taking place. There isn't actually any 'syncing' taking place - Mail reads the mailboxes from the server, just like webmail.

Of course if you drag messages from an iCloud mailbox to an archive mailbox listed under 'On My Mac' you are downloading all the messages.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2012 8:25 AM in response to TBlackthorne

All iCloud mail, being IMAP, lives on the server; all mailboxes listed under 'iCloud' as opposed to 'On My Mac' live on the server so you can move items between iCloud mailboxes without any uploading taking place. There isn't actually any 'syncing' taking place - Mail reads the mailboxes from the server, just like webmail.

Of course if you drag messages from an iCloud mailbox to an archive mailbox listed under 'On My Mac' you are downloading all the messages.

Mar 6, 2012 2:58 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thank you Roger.

So, if I've understood correctly I would use the iCloud account for a year and then my yearly routine would become to create an archive folder for the year on my mac and move them over. Then I would manually copy the mail box onto each machine so that they all had the archive. The only thing to remember would be that any changes made to an archived year would not be synced automatically.

If that works I could do that: I already do an extensive January cleanout before archiving anyway.

Mar 6, 2012 3:13 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Argh!! I just found out that I can't use iCloud anyway because I would have to change email address to iCloud's IMAP address. I use spamex.com (a DEA - disposable email account) which provides an efficient antispam with 0% false positives but it supplies POP addresses which presumably could not be used with iCloud.

Ah well... NVM

Thanks for your help.

Is it possible to only sync certain mailboxes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.