Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black plastic hinge sliding left and right. Help!

Hi guys,

A couple of days ago, my MacBook Pro (mid 2010) came back from the Apple Service Centre. The logic board had to be replaced.

Now, I have noticed that the hinge (the black plastic cover) easily moves from right to left and from left to right: like that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vrqpa2Y2xA So, it basically slides left and right while I don't even use much force.

I have never seen it before (I think): at least, I have never noticed it before.

Do you also have it? Does the replacement of the logic board have anything to do with the hinge? Maybe all MacBook Pros have it and I had just never noticed it...

I brought the machine back to the Service Centre and they told me that it is fine and that they hadn't even touched the screen. What can I do now?

MBP 15 Alu '10, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 3:07 AM

3 replies

Mar 12, 2012 6:50 AM in response to carl wolf

Well, yesterday I went to the Apple Store and spoke to some geniuses at the Genius Bar.

I was immediately told that it is indeed an issue and that the whole screen would be replaced. (fortunately, I have the Apple Care Protection Plan until the end of 2013)

Other MBPs in the store appeared to be perfect and had no moving hinges: all of the clutches were very sturdy.

Black plastic hinge sliding left and right. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.