Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard reset erases preferences sometimes?

Usually a hard reset (holding home+lock for about 10 seconds) results in an apple logo boot screen and then the phone coming back. Sometimes, though, the apple logo will have a progress bar underneath it. When this appears, many of my preferences are blown away (all sound prefs, battery percentage) and Siri will reset back to it's first use state. Anybody else experience this?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 5:17 AM

2 replies

Mar 6, 2012 5:48 AM in response to Aaron Cohen2

I have seen it happen once, but don't have any confirmed answer as to why it happens sometimes and not others. I can only assume that the iOS found some corrupted system cache or something else it decided needed purging to clean up.

BTW. when I say it, I was doing a hard reset on my iPhone 4 to try and get WAZE to get over its annoying "No GPS" error when all my other nav apps had no problem fixing my location nor tracking it while driving. The reset did not fix WAZE's flackiness at getting a GPS fix, but it did reset sound prefs and set battery % to "off" but I did not see any other settings that were altered.

Mar 6, 2012 6:06 AM in response to Michael Black

Thanks for the reply. The only thing that was reset on mine, in addition to what you listed is Siri. Siri was reset back to as if I had never used it before, i.e. the next time I tried using it, it popped up with a list of suggested commands.

Incidentally, the reason I have to do this so often has to do with iHandy Alarm Clock. I love the app and I use it to wake up to a playlist every morning, but two or three times now there has been an issue where no sound plays at all at alarm time. The "snooze" and "stop" buttons come up, but no music plays. Needless to say, this is unacceptable. The only way I've found to guarantee this not to happen is to do a reset every night before I go to sleep. Annoying as ****, but it's the only thing I can do.

Hard reset erases preferences sometimes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.