Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail 4.5 does not delete junk emails in the trash

I have much of the junk emails that come to me auto set to go to the Trash folder through Junk Filter settings. However, when I do a Command>A, to choose all the email in the Trash folder, and then click on Delete, the junk emails I never opened don't delete until I do it again or click on each one and then click Delete. All the other emails I moved there manually will disappear using the Command>A and Delete, just not those that went there by filter rules I set up. Why?

Is it because I never bothered to open those emails?

What's the point of the filtering rules if I still have to open each email before I can delete it?

I've also noticed that despite the filter rules I made, some junk emails that fall into those rules still go to my Inbox folders instead of the Trash. Why is that?

What's the point of the filtering rules if they don't work as set?

Mac Mini 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Logitech mouse, Apple wired keyboard, acer monitor

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 9:16 AM

7 replies

Mar 7, 2012 7:45 PM in response to sanjampet

@samjampet

Junk filters in Mail are pretty bad; they often don't learn or behave as I've set the rules up to filter. Luckily, my other email accounts are hosted on private servers that are pretty good at filtering out 99% of the spam, but some always seems to slip thru. Most of it goes right into the Trash folder.

Your suggestion didn't make any difference. Unless I actually open the junk emails once, I can't seem to delete them the first time around from the Trash. They do delete on the second round of command>A and delete or clicking the delete button, but not until all the other emails have gone. An odd behavior, that shouldn't be, but so it goes. Just another buggy annoyance.

Feb 23, 2014 10:19 AM in response to patwick49

You seem to have a variety of other problems. You are far more likely to get the attention you need by specifying which of your devices is being affected ... and by writing a new post setting out your troubles. This forum is for Snow Leopard but the two main items you have are listed as 10.9.1. (Incidentally, well done for listing your products so fully; too many people don't bother.)

Mail 4.5 does not delete junk emails in the trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.