Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A few Newbie Aperture questions - Help much appreciated!

Hi All,

I have just purchased Aperture and only played with it for a few hours - I'm really stunned with how great it works (especially for the price).

I got a 550d for Christmas and I wanted to take my photos to the next level there are a couple of behavioural questions I'd like cleared up if possible!

1. When I import files from my Camera I use Image capture, import them to a folder on my NAS drive and then import the ones I want to edit/keep into Aperture, Am I right in assuming that Aperture keeps these files in it's library and I do not need to keep the originals on the NAS drive?

2. Aperture is an editing / image browsing application, when I edit a photo how can I view the original version? How does Aperture store the file as two photos or one big file? - I ask because I had edited a photo and wanted to email the Original and the edited version to a friend so he could check them out, I used the email button but I could only get it to mail the edited version. Even when I pressed 'M' to show master and clicked mail it still attached the edited version. The work around I had was to remove all edits and click mail and then just redo them - but it would be nicer to be able to share originals and edited photos, I understand for browsing though having Aperture show you're edited photos only is enough.

3. Regarding Photosteam (I have an iPad which it's cool for) - When I import items do they go straight onto Photostream? Can I import items and later selectively add to photostream? and finally If I take a picture with my iPad it shows up in photostream but if I save an image from Safari or mail on the iPad does it also go to photostream?

4. When I edit a photo does the edited changes get reflected on photostream?

5. When I edit a photo do I have to save it? I seem to be able to just edit and close Aperture and my edits are auto saved? I assume you can't mess up an Original photo because you can always undo the non destructive edits, but can you undo the edits and exit Aperture and then later redo the edits on the same photo - does it keep a history of edits?

Thanks a million for all the help,

Regards,

John

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 9:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 10:09 AM

You've made a good start!

Am I right in assuming that Aperture keeps these files in it's library and I do not need to keep the originals on the NAS drive?

Yes. On import, unless you tell it otherwise, Aperture copies the file into the Library. It is then called a "Master". Aperture features non-destructive editing: your Masters are _never_ altered. Keeping your Masters on NAS is not supported. Don't forget to back-up.

Aperture is an editing / image browsing application, when I edit a photo how can I view the original version?

"m" toggle the view from Master to Version. You can easily create a new Version from the Master, and view your original and your adjusted Version side-by-side. Many novices do this, but gradually abandon the practice and just use the "m" toggle as needed.

How does Aperture store the file as two photos or one big file?

It's a bit tricky. Aperture stores the Master and never alters it. Aperture creates a _text_ file of instructions on how to alter the Master. This text file is called a "Version". What you see is an Image created on-the-fly by applying the instructions in the Version to the Master. It is only when you need a share-able image-format file that you create one by exporting the Image.

it would be nicer to be able to share originals and edited photos

Use "File→Export→Master" to make a copy of your original to email.

Photosteam

Don't know.

When I edit a photo do I have to save it? I seem to be able to just edit and close Aperture and my edits are auto saved?

Don't worry about "Save" in Aperture. Aperture is a database. Databases automatically save all changes. You do not save adjustments you make in Aperture. There is no "Save" function.

I assume you can't mess up an Original photo because you can always undo the non destructive edits, but can you undo the edits and exit Aperture and then later redo the edits on the same photo - does it keep a history of edits?

(Edits in Aperture are called "Adjustments".) Aperture always applies your adjustments in a fixed order. This order is shown in the order of the Adjustment Bricks on the Adjustments tab of the Inspector. You can turn any Adjustment on or off by checking the box at the top left of the Brick (one of the reasons I keep my Inspector to the right of my Viewer/Browser is to have these more readily accessed). You can alter the settings of any Adjustment at any time. The Bricks on the Inspector _are_ your history. Since they are always applied in a fixed order, there is no reason to keep a list of the Adjustments you make in the order you make them.

You can collapse or expand each Brick, and you can collapse all of them by "{Option}+clicking" one of the disclosure triangles. You can add or remove Bricks from your default set. Any time you use a Quick Brush, a Brick is added (or activated).

(Added) Screenshot of my current default Adjustment Bricks:

User uploaded file

Good luck. It's a fabulous program.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- typos, small clarification, screenshot added.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2012 10:09 AM in response to JohnAlanWoods

You've made a good start!

Am I right in assuming that Aperture keeps these files in it's library and I do not need to keep the originals on the NAS drive?

Yes. On import, unless you tell it otherwise, Aperture copies the file into the Library. It is then called a "Master". Aperture features non-destructive editing: your Masters are _never_ altered. Keeping your Masters on NAS is not supported. Don't forget to back-up.

Aperture is an editing / image browsing application, when I edit a photo how can I view the original version?

"m" toggle the view from Master to Version. You can easily create a new Version from the Master, and view your original and your adjusted Version side-by-side. Many novices do this, but gradually abandon the practice and just use the "m" toggle as needed.

How does Aperture store the file as two photos or one big file?

It's a bit tricky. Aperture stores the Master and never alters it. Aperture creates a _text_ file of instructions on how to alter the Master. This text file is called a "Version". What you see is an Image created on-the-fly by applying the instructions in the Version to the Master. It is only when you need a share-able image-format file that you create one by exporting the Image.

it would be nicer to be able to share originals and edited photos

Use "File→Export→Master" to make a copy of your original to email.

Photosteam

Don't know.

When I edit a photo do I have to save it? I seem to be able to just edit and close Aperture and my edits are auto saved?

Don't worry about "Save" in Aperture. Aperture is a database. Databases automatically save all changes. You do not save adjustments you make in Aperture. There is no "Save" function.

I assume you can't mess up an Original photo because you can always undo the non destructive edits, but can you undo the edits and exit Aperture and then later redo the edits on the same photo - does it keep a history of edits?

(Edits in Aperture are called "Adjustments".) Aperture always applies your adjustments in a fixed order. This order is shown in the order of the Adjustment Bricks on the Adjustments tab of the Inspector. You can turn any Adjustment on or off by checking the box at the top left of the Brick (one of the reasons I keep my Inspector to the right of my Viewer/Browser is to have these more readily accessed). You can alter the settings of any Adjustment at any time. The Bricks on the Inspector _are_ your history. Since they are always applied in a fixed order, there is no reason to keep a list of the Adjustments you make in the order you make them.

You can collapse or expand each Brick, and you can collapse all of them by "{Option}+clicking" one of the disclosure triangles. You can add or remove Bricks from your default set. Any time you use a Quick Brush, a Brick is added (or activated).

(Added) Screenshot of my current default Adjustment Bricks:

User uploaded file

Good luck. It's a fabulous program.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- typos, small clarification, screenshot added.

Mar 6, 2012 11:21 AM in response to JohnAlanWoods

JohnAlanWoods wrote:

1. When I import files from my Camera I use Image capture, import them to a folder on my NAS drive and then import the ones I want to edit/keep into Aperture, Am I right in assuming that Aperture keeps these files in it's library and I do not need to keep the originals on the NAS drive?

What Kirby said. However do note that the most important step in any workflow is to back up originals before import into Aperture or any other images management application. In your case that would mean yes, you do need to keep the originals on the NAS drive as backup copies. Also remember to also back up the files on the NAS to off-site.

Am I right in assuming that Aperture keeps these files in it's library

The answer is maybe. Aperture Masters can be referenced or managed. Managed Masters mean that yes the Masters are actually stored in the Library, which leads to very large Library sizes with consequent mass-storage issues being very common. If one chooses "store images in their current location" prior to import into Aperture then the image files remain where they are (Referenced Masters), keeping the Aperture Library (database) much, much smaller and more nimble. Originals can be stored on NAS just fine, but Masters stored by reference should be on a direct-connected drive rather than on NAS.

Both methods work equally well if the Library remains small. The need to back up originals before import into Aperture or any other images management application holds irrespective of whether managed or referenced.

HTH

-Allen

Mar 6, 2012 11:28 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

And that was a fabulous answer - Thanks for taking the time to go through that! Really very much appreciated.

I may have a couple more questions as I progress but so far it seems relatively straightforward, although i'd say it would take considerable time to master!

Thanks again and I'll be happy to help around the community as my knowledge grows 🙂

Cheers,

John

A few Newbie Aperture questions - Help much appreciated!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.