Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot get my macbook to restart

--When I start up, I have a gray screen with the apple icon and a spinning wheel. I am not getting to the log in screen. What can I do?

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 9:31 AM

2 replies

Mar 6, 2012 10:06 AM in response to nycnad

Hi...

Maybe this support article will help > Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup

One of the suggestions at that link is to boot in Safe Mode. While you're there, check to see how much free space there is on the startup disk.

Once you see the Desktop, right or control click the MacintoshHD icon. Click Get Info. In the Get Info window you will see Capacity and Available. Make sure there's a minimum of 15% free disk space.

A Safe Mode boot can take a little longer then a normal boot so be patient.

Mar 6, 2012 10:33 AM in response to nycnad

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for the email. Unfortunately, the safe boot did not work. I still have a spinning wheel and a gray apple. Even after I removed the battery, so I am not sure what else to. I have a call set up with tech support.

One question--when holding down the shift key--I hold it until the apple come up then I let go right?

Best nadia

I cannot get my macbook to restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.