Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Want to Use eHD for Primary Storage

Good day,

My question basically is: How do I change over to use my eHD as my primary storage instead of using it for back up through Time Machine? AND Can anyone explain how to do it as though I just plugged in a Mac for the first time yesterday?

Background: About 2 years ago with some great advice from people who answered a previous post I purchased a 1TM OWC external HD. I was down to 4GB left available on my internal and I find myself in a similar situation now with only 11.93GB left on my internal HD despite the 1TM eHD which is only a fraction full.

2 years ago when I originally connected my eHD I was given the option to store directly to eHD OR use it for back up through TM. Being a novice to it all and for whatever reason, not sure why exactly but at the time I chose to back up through TM. I was having issues with getting TimeVault turned off and was overwhelmed etc. etc.

Anyhow--flash forward 2 years later I am filling up my internal again with only the 11.93GB left that I mentioned. According to OmniDiskSweeper a good 142.9GB of it is coming from my movies---mostly the events vs. projects of course but 142.9GB none-the-less. I know when I import movies from my camera I can choose to direct them to the OWC but because the internal shows up first by default, sometimes I rush import without changing it to the OWC, hence filling up my internal.

Basically what I really want to do is store everything directly to the eHD and I am not sure how to do it. Is there anyone that can walk me through the process in simple, simple terms? Although I feel I've come a long way in 2 years I still consider myself a novice.

Yes, I have read many posts, threads, discussions but with different suggestions so not sure what is right. I am not familiar with this stuff such so I end up being afraid to "try" any of it for fear of losing my pics, movies forever. Or having to re-do them somehow. I read about just moving iMovie but too many options as to how and not sure which is right. Most forums are for people who know more than I about this already and suggest things like change events to view by volume (did it) but then I read stuff like open volume where events are stored and drag to volume you want to store it. Well for someone like me that raises more questions than answers. What volume? Do they mean in my case drag to the eHD? Will this keep everything the same as I had it? Will I still have my dates? Titles? Some discussions say copy. Do they mean move? Etc. Etc. Etc.

Really I want to just store directly to eHD for primary. I want to be able to open iMovie, iPhoto and have everything just like I do now but with all that glorius 1TB storage. I don't want to redo anything---just move and run off the eHD. Possible? If I simply unplug my eHD and reconnect---will I get the option I did 2 years ago to store directly to the eHD?

UGH! 😕

Message was edited by: dgc0225 to re-arrange wording just after posting

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), iLife '08, Miscrosoft for Mac '08, Sony DSC-W230, Sanyo VPC-TH1

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 12:57 PM

9 replies

Mar 6, 2012 1:17 PM in response to dgc0225

Hello,

Unfortunately this is going to require some redoing to do it properly.

Easiest is if you could get another 1 to 2 GB External drive.

Problem with TM as I see it is it should have double/triple the space of the Internal drive.

Ideally we'd need to Partition the External drive, which puts all your data on it at risk, & you don't have enough space to copy/move those big files already on the external.

Mar 6, 2012 4:31 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

If it's "easy" I would consider getting another 1 to 2 GB.

I read a post before I posted here that referred me to Ken Stone's site about formatting and partitioning but I couldn't change the "Volume Scheme" like in his examples. My real ones were greyed out so I didn't have the option to select. And honestly--reading on it's pretty complicated (based on my lack of knowledge with this) and I'm afraid I would screw it up anyhow. Anything else besides partitioning?

Anyone know what happens if I just turn-off Time Machine? What if I unplug the eHD and plug back in and start over? Like a re-boot of sorts? Too good to be true?

Mar 7, 2012 6:51 AM in response to BDAqua

I appreciate the response BDAqua but I'm not really sure what you mean. If I shut off Time Machine and/or unplug my current 1TB eHD, will that erase everything?

I already have a 1TB eHD set up (OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro) ---but are you saying if I add another eHD with 1 to 2 GB there is a easy solution?

I wasn't kidding when I said I need this broken down for me as if I just used a Mac for the first time yesterday! 😉

Mar 7, 2012 4:23 PM in response to dgc0225

If I shut off Time Machine and/or unplug my current 1TB eHD, will that erase everything?

It will not erase anything.

are you saying if I add another eHD with 1 to 2 GB there is a easy solution?

Yes, get a 2TB one & we can Partition it in 2 1 GB Partitions, one to clone your Internal drive to & boot from.

Or a 1 TB Drive to clone to & boot from & use your other 1 TB for TM.

Once you decide & have it we can best step by step you through it.

Mar 9, 2012 1:03 PM in response to BDAqua

Ohhhh you think it's best if I get another eHD that is 2TB? Your Mar 6 posted mentioned just 1 to 2 GB. 1 to 2 GB I'm guessing would be very cheap. Unfortunately I'm not financially in a position to go out and buy a 2TB eHD. I have a 1TB already with barely anything on it, and either way, I can't just afford it. I guess I will have to keep searching for a another solution. I appreciate the try though, thank you.

Mar 24, 2012 2:02 PM in response to BDAqua

Hmmm. I'm back from being out-of-state for a while for services of a long time friend that passed away unexpectedly. I guess this isn't something I want to take on right at the moment. I think I will just delete some events from my iMovie library to clear up some space and hope it doesn't effect any of my projects. I appreciate the responses. Thank you.

Want to Use eHD for Primary Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.