Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help with Gmail on iPhone!

I have tried to set up Gmail through the iPhone mail client but have not been able to successfully connect. I've tried using the Gmail setup button and each time I am told that my user name and password don't match (they do). I've tried setting it up as both POP and IMAP but in both cases I keep getting error messages saying the server isn't responding. I've tried the authentication process mentioned in other threads to unlock my account/password. I've followed Google's instructions for setting up email on the iPhone through all of these ways and nothing is working! I'm a pretty tech-savvy person and I just can't figure it out. This can't be that difficult... Please help!

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 1:20 PM

If you have turned on 2 step authentication for gmail, you must go into your account settings on the web site and set up an exception for your phone or you will not be able to authenticate to it.

6 replies

Mar 6, 2012 1:35 PM in response to razmee209

Thanks, razmee. I did all of these things but there is a step missing... which, thanks to you, I stumbled upon! I had to add the device in my Gmail account and assign a device-specific password to use INSTEAD of my regular password. Then I unlocked my account with the Captcha and set up the account again with the Gmail setup link using the new password. Then magically it worked.

Thanks!

Need help with Gmail on iPhone!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.