Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is it so difficult to get my scanner to work? What's up with Rosetta?

I'm using a Mac Pro Quadcore with Snow Leopard version 10.6.8 and want to scan photos straight into Ps CS4 version 11.0.2 using a Canon Canoscan LIDE 100.

BUT when I go to Import there is no TWAIN option, there is only: Variable Data Sets (grayed out), Video Frames to Layers, Anti-Alised PICT, PICT Resources and Notes (grayed out).

I right click on Adobe Photoshop CS4 inside the Ps CS4 folder to bring up "Get Info" and click the check box that states "Open using Rosetta" BUT when I click open the Ps icon to open it Ps crashes straight away. I click "Reopen" and it crashes straight away. Un tick the Rosetta check box and Ps opens fine.

I assumed this was Apples problem because Rosettas is their program but after walking it through the Apple care operator and following his instructions to download a PowerPC version of VLC (which started up fine without doing a thing)to see if Rosetta was automatically installed, it worked fine, I was told that it's an Adobe problem. Urrrggghhh

Then I downloaded the TWAIN plugin and dropped it into the import-export folder and NOTHING!

The scanner works with Snow Leopards native Image Capture so it's not the scanner. Except that the scanner buttons dont seem to work when they used to on a MacBook. But here on the Mac Pro I cant find anything within the Ps menus that resembles "permission" to scan.

I need to do a lot of photo correction/remove blurred/restoration and read that it's better to scan the old photos straight into Ps to ensure no quality is lost during the scan. Regardless if this 100% true I still should be able to scan straight into Ps. I mean the CS4 package + Mac cost enough so you would think it would work fine and without so many issues.

What is it that I'm doing wrong or missing here? Any help would be sooo appreciated!

Mac Pro

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 3:32 PM

7 replies

Mar 6, 2012 3:54 PM in response to PatMan001

There was a Security update 2012-005 v 1.0 (after 10.6.8) that caused a lot of Rosetta based issues, then there was a V 1.1 patch issued.

Your problems could be related to that.

Don't know but to fresh install everything 10.6-10.6.8 and all your software, drivers etc on a blank external GUID/OS X Extended (J) drive, hold the option key and boot from it and see if this "virgin" state gives you the same issues.

If no issues then you can elect then to transfer your User files to the 10.6.8 on the external, then install the free Carbon Copy Cloner on the external drive, once up and running, then use Disk Utility to Erase (with Zero option for bad sectors) the INTERNAL drive (removes everything) then format and use CCC to clone the external to the internal drive.

You'll have your problems fixed and a highly optimised drive in the process.

Mar 6, 2012 6:24 PM in response to PatMan001

Wow, that sounds like a massive mission ds store! I've been through a similiar process using my time machine and the issues I was trying to get around were still there. Would the V 1.1 patch have been downloaded with automatic updates or do I need to find it and instal it seperatly? I'd like to try my other options before I go down that road.

Cheers for the advice regarding the Canon drivers R C-R.

The thing with setting Ps to open using Rosetta is that if its set to do that Ps wont even open - the Crashed Unexpectedly dialogue box comes up striaght away. So it suggests that either Rosetta doesn't work on my machine or wont work with Ps on my machine.

Has anyone else had similair issues?

Why is it so difficult to get my scanner to work? What's up with Rosetta?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.