Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any way to reformat Macbook without discs?

Hello!

I've had this macbook pro (currently running osx version 10.5.8) for some time now (early 2008 i think).. and it's starting to give me a ton of problems, some of my buttons have stopped functioning (letter buttons) i've heard 3 beeps a few times, but nothing as of late.. but it's just running super slow no matter what i've done (removed/deleted all pictures/files off and placed it on external hard drive, gotten rid of unneeded/extra software) but still slow and makes me want to rip out my hair.

One of my friends said to try to reformat it, but the problem is, I have misplaced the box and the

Mac OS X Install DVD and all the other stuff it came with (as we have moved in 2010).. is there anyway to reformat my computer without the install DVD? or am I just stuck with my macbook like this now?

help anyone!

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.5), Early 2008

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 5:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 6:25 PM

10.6 Snow Leopard would be excellent choice for your 2008 MBP, what it does is strips out the PPC code your not using in 10.5 Leopard and offer faster video drivers and some nice bells and whistles.

10.6 is faster than 10.5 (video driver improvements) and 10.6 is slightly faster than 10.7.1 (tested on the same hardware)

(It might be that 10.7.3+ is possibly a hair bit faster than 10.6, I haven't seen any recent speed comparisons lately.)

A advantage with 10.6 is you get to keep running most of your present 10.5 software, some will require a update to work in 10.6 under Rosetta which is a compatability layer.

Most all software and hardware drivers for older third party devices work for 10.6, so your good to go.

Do backup your files off the computer to a storage drive (not TimeMachine) and disconnect before making any major changes.

You can buy the $29 10.6.3 Snow Leopard upgrade/install disk from Apple online.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A

(to boot off the 10.6.3. disk, hold c upon boot. You then have two choices, upgrade 10.5 to 10.6 only, or use Disk Utility first to erase everything on the drive then install 10.6)

Now about 10.7, it's a new OS that came out in July, it's all 64bit and thus it doesn't run Rosetta (of 10.6) and thus your 10.5 software will not work with it.

Some third party software is not ready for 10.7 yet, and a lot of hardware drivers for printers and scanners may not function for it. You will have to do your homework check this table.

http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

10.7 Lion represents a rather drastic change to OS X in some aspects that need getting used to, no boot disks, internet recovery and the MacAppStore etc.

10.8 is going to be released THIS SUMMER and nearly no software is ready for it obviously and won't run on older hardware (to be determined)

I think 10.7 should run fine on your machine, you may have to upgrade the RAM to 4GB to get better performance.

So you have to make a decision, if it's wise for you to have to buy all new versions of software for your older Mac and run 10.7 or stay with 10.6.8 and run the software you have (minor updates) until perhaps a year from now when 10.8 is out on brand new hardware and the bugs are worked out of it, buy all new software then.

IMO option #2 with 10.6.8 now, 10.8 later on new hardware is a better choice than option #1 going with 10.7 and paying more money for software for little reason, or going without as some software isn't ready yet for 10.7.

I don't know what or how much investment in software you have; if little, then 10.7 is nothing, if a lot then you perhaps may want to hold off 10.7 for now.

If you do decide to go to 10.7, I advise buying the $69 Lion USB thumb drive and option key booting from that, erasing the entire drive and installing 10.7 directly. Skipping right over 10.6.

With the Lion USB you can install 10.7 anytime you want, no internet connection required, however if you upgrade 10.5 to 10.6 ($29) then to 10.7 ($29), then you have to use Internet Recovery from your boot drive, I don't know how reliable your Internet is, but a $69 USB is certainly more reliable for only a few dollars more.

Good luck.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2012 6:25 PM in response to Khrisi

10.6 Snow Leopard would be excellent choice for your 2008 MBP, what it does is strips out the PPC code your not using in 10.5 Leopard and offer faster video drivers and some nice bells and whistles.

10.6 is faster than 10.5 (video driver improvements) and 10.6 is slightly faster than 10.7.1 (tested on the same hardware)

(It might be that 10.7.3+ is possibly a hair bit faster than 10.6, I haven't seen any recent speed comparisons lately.)

A advantage with 10.6 is you get to keep running most of your present 10.5 software, some will require a update to work in 10.6 under Rosetta which is a compatability layer.

Most all software and hardware drivers for older third party devices work for 10.6, so your good to go.

Do backup your files off the computer to a storage drive (not TimeMachine) and disconnect before making any major changes.

You can buy the $29 10.6.3 Snow Leopard upgrade/install disk from Apple online.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A

(to boot off the 10.6.3. disk, hold c upon boot. You then have two choices, upgrade 10.5 to 10.6 only, or use Disk Utility first to erase everything on the drive then install 10.6)

Now about 10.7, it's a new OS that came out in July, it's all 64bit and thus it doesn't run Rosetta (of 10.6) and thus your 10.5 software will not work with it.

Some third party software is not ready for 10.7 yet, and a lot of hardware drivers for printers and scanners may not function for it. You will have to do your homework check this table.

http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

10.7 Lion represents a rather drastic change to OS X in some aspects that need getting used to, no boot disks, internet recovery and the MacAppStore etc.

10.8 is going to be released THIS SUMMER and nearly no software is ready for it obviously and won't run on older hardware (to be determined)

I think 10.7 should run fine on your machine, you may have to upgrade the RAM to 4GB to get better performance.

So you have to make a decision, if it's wise for you to have to buy all new versions of software for your older Mac and run 10.7 or stay with 10.6.8 and run the software you have (minor updates) until perhaps a year from now when 10.8 is out on brand new hardware and the bugs are worked out of it, buy all new software then.

IMO option #2 with 10.6.8 now, 10.8 later on new hardware is a better choice than option #1 going with 10.7 and paying more money for software for little reason, or going without as some software isn't ready yet for 10.7.

I don't know what or how much investment in software you have; if little, then 10.7 is nothing, if a lot then you perhaps may want to hold off 10.7 for now.

If you do decide to go to 10.7, I advise buying the $69 Lion USB thumb drive and option key booting from that, erasing the entire drive and installing 10.7 directly. Skipping right over 10.6.

With the Lion USB you can install 10.7 anytime you want, no internet connection required, however if you upgrade 10.5 to 10.6 ($29) then to 10.7 ($29), then you have to use Internet Recovery from your boot drive, I don't know how reliable your Internet is, but a $69 USB is certainly more reliable for only a few dollars more.

Good luck.

Mar 6, 2012 6:22 PM in response to Khrisi

You need an install copy of the operating system because reformatting the hard drive would destroy the operating system and without the install disk...

You can get another copy of the installation software from Apple by contacting customer support with the serial number of your computer. They charge a fee for the disks but it is nominal.

http://www.apple.com/contact

Mar 6, 2012 10:13 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

Ralph Landry1 wrote:

You can get another copy of the installation software from Apple by contacting customer support with the serial number of your computer. They charge a fee for the disks but it is nominal.

I don't think Apple is issuing 10.5 disks anymore, the OP said they were on 10.5.

They will likely have to buy the 10.6.3 Snow Leopard retail disk, the upgrade would do them good though.

Mar 6, 2012 11:56 PM in response to ds store

Indeed, the only path available nowadays if you don't have install media and don't have Lion preinstalled on the computer is by purchasing the retail version of Snow Leopard. That way you can install it on any supported Intel-class Mac (PowerPC is no longer supported) and stay at that level or upgrade to Lion, which can only be installed this way.

And you better hurry in getting the purchase done. Once the newer cat (Mountain Lion, 10.8) comes out, Snow Leopard will probably go the way of the dodo bird, since Apple has been supporting only the last two versions of MacOS X.

Any way to reformat Macbook without discs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.