Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo file names Deleted by iPad

Asked this 3 months ago, but got no response. Can't understand what iPad does to photo file names. 1. Can't see photo file name in albums/events. 2. when iPad emails photo, the file that is received is called only La Foto (the photo, my wife uses spanish). If I send her a photo with a name I assigned (date, camera-assigned number, file size), and she saves it to an album and sends it back, the file name I sent her is gone, and photo is simply La Foto. How can you organize or keep track of photos, w/o info such as name, date, camera number, etc.? And why does iPad remove specifically created names? Nothing in Manual or Settings on this.

We've an iPad, and also a MB Air and iMac.

Armando

iPad

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 7:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 8:10 PM

The iPad is used to view photos. Your computer is where the photos are organized and named. As far as I know the iPad does not keep the names of photos.

17 replies

Mar 7, 2012 6:48 AM in response to ArmandoWyo

Thanks to all for the explanation. Seems shortsighted to hide names when one can easily accumulate thousands of photos on a iPad, as my wife has in less than a year. It is even difficult to use my computers to store and organize her photos when I already have dozens with identical names of La foto 1, la foto 2, etc. Diavonex, is there an Exif file reader ap?

Armando

May 5, 2012 4:55 AM in response to Diavonex

I use the app PhotoMgrPro. Now I can see the file names. I don't use i-Tunes to upload my images but with PhotoMgrPro you can upload your images using "HTTP Transfer" or "FTP Transfer". Now you kan keep using your folder names and file names. But ONLY in the PhotoMgrPro app i think. NOT in the Photo app on the iPad or iPhone

Look here for more information.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODC1_PRzdf8&feature=related

User uploaded file

Feb 21, 2013 2:53 PM in response to antijava@taiwan

antijava@taiwan wrote:

Here is a universal app "Photo Name".

The one and only one functionality is to dispaly the native filename of the photos.

Free with advertisement.

iOS 5 and above.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photo-name/id568800725?ls=1&mt=8

I've just downloaded it. It is very nice as far as it goes, but am I not right in thinking that in the photostream section it only shows My Photostream and not other streams you may have created? [I see it is your own app, so maybe you can update it thus]

Feb 22, 2013 10:17 AM in response to antijava@taiwan

antijava@taiwan wrote:

I've checked and it worked ok in my iPhone 4 (5.0) and iPad 1 (iOS 5.0).

So could you comment on what device / iOS version do you use ?

Really appreciate for you comments.

Thanks for checking it out, antijava. The spec. is iPad retina running iOS 6.1.2, just out. Maybe your version of iOS doesn't have the resource that shows the problem? If in Photos I select Photo Stream then I see 4 albums in all, the default 'My Photo Stream' and 3 I created to keep track of things better. If I go into your app there's a folder list and it does not include the 3 additional albums. Were you able to test that?

I've done a check to see if other apps can see these other photo stream albums, by opening the Dropbox app on the same iPad, and seeing if the upload process can see these 3 folders. The answer is that it does. Also, my wife is just uploading some photos to Photobox from the photobox app and that also sees all the photo stream albums.

Feb 23, 2013 2:37 AM in response to antijava@taiwan

antijava@taiwan wrote:

Thanks for your time doing the check.

I'm sorry that currently I don't have the similiar resource to do the same.

I guess that it might be the difference caused by different iOS / idevice.

I think that I'll check and modify the app after I got iOS 6 devices.

Thanks for your comments and your time.

Thanks for your reply, and I hope you get a more recent device soon for Father's/Mother's Day or whatever! I'm a little confused as to what the situation is. According to w'pedia the iOS 5 that you have does have photostream, but I don't know if it supports multiple streams (which you create by touching the + when in photostream). Is the problem that your version does not support multiple streams so you can't test the issue I raised, or is it that it does support multiple streams and works correctly with iOS 5 but not with iOS 6?

PS: I've checked, and find my iPod has the same limitation as I mentioned above with the iPad.

Feb 23, 2013 7:08 AM in response to antijava@taiwan

antijava@taiwan wrote:

Just for your information.

The first screenshot is my iPad. You can see that there're five albums including the default one.

The second screenshot is the Photo Name app. There are five albums.

User uploaded file

Thanks. We're getting somewhere I think. Where you have just 2 buttons on the top (in the middle) my wife's iPad has four, Photos, Photo Stream, Albums, Places. The view with Albums is similar to your screenshot. Is one of those buttons for photostrream, and if not have you tried enabling photostream (and sharing) in Photos settings, which has to be done to make it operational?

Photo file names Deleted by iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.