Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what, if any, animation files can be added to iBooks Author books?

My books will include 2D animations, and I need to see what files they need to be to be included (imbedded?) in the iBook. Any ideas? Or do I need to submit animations to another place, and in another format?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 2009, 24" 10.6.8

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 7:04 AM

Start here in the Help files. This should address your questions.

http://help.apple.com/ibooksauthor/mac/1.0/#bls321de519

- Fabe

10 replies

Mar 7, 2012 8:07 AM in response to artdough

My books will include 2D animations, and I need to see what files they need to be to be included (imbedded?) in the iBook.

Since you seem to be asking about standalone media files to be embedded directly in iBA "Media" widgets, my advice would be to keep it simple. Audio only files containing AAC stereo in the 128 Kbps @ 44.1 KHz to 160 Kbps @ 48.0 KHz range audio in an M4A container would be a good choice combining reasonable fidelity in a moderate file size. This same audio can also be embedded as a "Podcast" M4A file which will automatically use the image as your default "Poster Frame" for the "Media" widget. As for videos, use an M4V file format containing an H.264 video track with AAC audio as previously described. While many video options are available, you may wish to stick with something like a L3.0/3.1 Main Profile in the 1.0 to 2.5 Kbps range since they are both easy to make and play on almost all mobile devices. Do not include extraneous track data in most cases. For instance, while the iPad can accept/AirPlay a secondary DD5.1 AC3 audio track, the iBA app seems to be programmed to prevent import of such content.

User uploaded file

Mar 7, 2012 8:42 AM in response to artdough

If I have a simple animation, no audio, (at this point) I will import it into first widgets, then move it from there to the file (book) to be uploaded to iTunes, correct?

Am sure K T or Fabe can better confirm this as everything I make/do is for my own personal use. But if you asking if you embed the H.264 video only data in an M4V wrapper directly into the iBA project to be included in the submission file rather than submitting it separately, then I assume the answer is yes.

what file is your little dog ?

It is an animated GIF file. GIF files are not directly import supported by the iBA app but can be included in things like an iFramed or URL resourced HTML widget. (Or you could simply create an HTML 5 animation widget.)

User uploaded file

what, if any, animation files can be added to iBooks Author books?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.