Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do my messages disappear after I read them in Mac Mail?

I have set up my email account in Entourage and in Mac Mail. It is a Rackspace email account. I can retrieve messages from my email account in both programs. When I read a message in Mac Mail, it immediately disappears after I close the message. The messages remain in my Entourage inbox. In other words, after they are read, POOF! it's as if they never existed in Mac Mail.

Is there a setting I am missing? Any idea why this would happen in Mac Mail but not Entourage?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 7:28 AM

5 replies

Mar 7, 2012 8:25 AM in response to RCS1207

In Mail, Control-click on the Inbox and choose Account Info. In the resulting dialogue, is the Inbox said to contain any messages? If setup as IMAP in Entourage, and as you report the messages are in the Inbox (which in IMAP resides on the server) then they must still be on the server.

What I describe above is for normal IMAP operation -- I am unfamiliar with RackSpace; can you provde a link to it description of operation? Some implimentations present a subset of messages and can be impacted by what device or program first connects.

I would suggest quitting Entourage, and checking to see if the message still disappears after reading in Mail.

Ernie

Mar 13, 2012 5:39 PM in response to RCS1207

Any setting to keep messagas on the server as a choice cannot be associated with an IMAP account, because by definition the messages and the Inbox must be on the server. I think the account has defaulted to be POP? In Mail Preferences/Accounts/Account Information, what is the stated Account Type?

Btw, if you click on my name to the left, and look in the bio line of the resulting Profile, you can find an email address for me, to which you can send screen shots.

Ernie

Why do my messages disappear after I read them in Mac Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.