Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X lion, final cut pro 6, iCloud

Apple wants me to move to iCloud from MobileMe. That's fine. But I'm told I need OS Lion to work with iCoud? If I change to OS Lion my Final Cut Pro 6 won't work.

Don't want to lose my cloud but I've only been on this computer a year and a half! I'm right in the middle of big projecgts and not ready to risk having this not work with that and that not work with this. Much less the time to learn FCP X.

Am I missing something?

G5, Quad core 2.93, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 10:02 AM

>If I change to OS Lion my Final Cut Pro 6 won't work.

Yes it will.

The FCS 2 Installer is Power PC based, the suite is a Universal Binary and runs on both PPC and Intel.

If you ever need to reinstall FCS2 onto Lion, you need to install Rosetta from a Mac OS X 10.6 DVD first.

But then you should never upgrade in the middle of projects anyway.

Mobile Me will be available thru June 2012.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2012 10:02 AM in response to Keefer-in-space

>If I change to OS Lion my Final Cut Pro 6 won't work.

Yes it will.

The FCS 2 Installer is Power PC based, the suite is a Universal Binary and runs on both PPC and Intel.

If you ever need to reinstall FCS2 onto Lion, you need to install Rosetta from a Mac OS X 10.6 DVD first.

But then you should never upgrade in the middle of projects anyway.

Mobile Me will be available thru June 2012.

Mar 7, 2012 2:58 PM in response to Nick Holmes

Nick, if I am to understand your answer correctly then, 1) you are saying that we should not experience any issues with FCP in upgrading to Lion, correct?

2) Your comment about needing Rosetta, emphasis should be put on "IF" you ever need to reinstall... but it's safe to say that we should not have to reinstall FCP in upgrading to Lion, correct?

Appreciate Nicks' answer and Keefer for asking as I got through to the fifth step on the upgrade and got cold feet when I thought about my FCP projects.

Mar 7, 2012 3:51 PM in response to Middleborn

I upgraded to Lion from 10.6.8 with FCS 3 installed last September.

I wanted LiveType from FCS 2 because I have hundreds of LT projects. (It's no longer in FCS 3)

On trying the installer, it was rejected. On a whim, I went back to the Mac OS X 10.6 DVD and installed Rosetta.

The FCS 2 installer worked and I was able to add LiveType.

I posted here about it and several others were able to do a complete install of FCS 2 on Lion using this method.

OS X lion, final cut pro 6, iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.