Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time capsule generations

I have a first generation TC and was wondering with the newer generations is there a difference in performance and if there is what are the features that create better performance? I am wondering if the speed I am getting with my network and time capsule could be better? I am running "n" mde.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 8:14 AM

7 replies

Mar 7, 2012 8:25 AM in response to mark fromrichmond

There have been no changes to its output power, however, the simultaneous dual band model introduced in 2009 offers the ability to run two completely separate wireless networks.

What does this have to do with performance? If you have any 802.11b/g devices on your network, anything at all, even wireless printers and so forth, your first gen TC will have to run at the slower speed to accomodate them. The dual band models have the ability to service them separately so your 802.11n network can run at the fastest possible speed.

I recall that Apple also advertised significantly better range with the third generation model but I can't find a link to that at the moment.

Mar 7, 2012 10:02 AM in response to mark fromrichmond

I am wondering if the speed I am getting with my network and time capsule could be better?

Your Internet connection speed is going to be limited by the service level that you have with your Internet Service Provider. The version of the Time Capsule that you have now is capable of providing much faster speeds than your Internet provider can supply to you.

If you are asking how to speed up downloads from the Internet, you will need to consider changing your currrent plan to a faster option...if available. Check with your ISP regarding this.

Otherwise, if you could give us a specific idea of what kind of "better performance" you are looking for, we may be able to offer some additional suggestions.

Mar 7, 2012 11:19 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you for your responses. I recognize that whatever speed I am getting from my ISP (Exede 12) is what I will get. My question had more to do if it slows down after it reaches the TC due to the age of the TC. I appreciate the comments about the dual band TC. This is what I was looking for. I would assume with the single band then, as John has indicated, everything will slow down with all the devices I have on the network (2 iPhones, 2 IPads, a printer, Apple TV and a MBAir). Is this correct? If I had the dual band how would that work with the number of devices I have and I assume I can assign a different network on the dual bands? Correct? BottomLine is the first generation TC too old for me to be using and should I consider getting an updated TC. The harddrive in my TC has crashed so I only use the TC for my networking.

Mar 7, 2012 11:59 AM in response to mark fromrichmond

I would assume with the single band then, as John has indicated, everything will slow down with all the devices I have on the network (2 iPhones, 2 IPads, a printer, Apple TV and a MBAir). Is this correct?

Not sure what you mean by everything.. think of it as pipes.. you have a 1/2" pipe to the outside world.. (unless you have a fibre or very high speed cable connection) which connects to your home 2" pipe.. Each device at home shares the 2" pipe.. but if all of them are trying to get through the 1/2" pipe to the internet.. then having a 4" pipe at home as a solution will do nothing at all.. you are bound by the 1/2".

If I had the dual band how would that work with the number of devices I have and I assume I can assign a different network on the dual bands? Correct?

Some things work only on 2.4ghz and others are dual band.. you can setup the TC with separate SSID for each band and connect to only that band. This will help local network connections.. (you now have two separate pipes, and one is 2" and the other 4") but still not help internet. which now feeds into a manifold with all the pipes joined.. ie the new TC. It will also not have long range. 5ghz is not good unless up close and personal. So it is not a pancea to all problems. So in the next room the 4" pipe goes through a 2" reducer.. and the next room goes through a 1" reducer.. and after that it gets a rusty old 1/2".

BottomLine is the first generation TC too old for me to be using and should I consider getting an updated TC. The harddrive in my TC has crashed so I only use the TC for my networking.

You have a TC which is effectively an older model Airport Extreme. A new TC will at least offer you improvement in having network based TM .. although that is useless for anything except your MBP. You might as well buy the latest AEBS as it is cheaper and more robust.. external power supply works better and overall the AEBS is slightly better in terms of wireless than TC for whatever reason. They are almost identical hardware.

If you want higher speed for more devices.. the trick is not using dual band.. it is using more wireless points. Connected together with ethernet. (or ethernet substitute like Ethernet over Power.. EoP.) You can configure them for roaming and cover your house better.. each product connected to its own WAP will then get excellent connection to the rest of the network.. but in the end.. to the internet.. you are back to the 1/2" pipe.

Mar 7, 2012 12:08 PM in response to LaPastenague

So in regards to the following on AEBS:

"Even faster performance.

Based on the IEEE 802.11n specification, AirPort Extreme uses a technology called multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) to transmit multiple data streams simultaneously. The result? AirPort Extreme delivers data transfer speeds up to five times those of 802.11g wireless networks — while achieving up to twice the range.1"

Does this mean that the AEBS is better than TC? Sorry to appear dense here but I am looking to get the maximum out of my equipment. I know that the speed is no better than what the ISP can but I am more concerned with having so many devices on my network, is that slowing the best speed I can get from my ISP?

If all the TC's work the same then why do they have different generations. I assume with each new generation the TC is better in its performance. So what is the differences between the 1st Generation TC and the 4th Generation and how does that effect performance?

Mar 7, 2012 12:29 PM in response to mark fromrichmond

Does this mean that the AEBS is better than TC?

A TC is an AEBS with a built in hard drive.

If all the TC's work the same then why do they have different generations.

Features have changed a bit. Second, third and fourth generation TCs provide both a "main" and "guest" network feature. Antennas have changed a bit. But overall, the wireless performance has remained really about the same for the past 4 years.

I have both a first generation TC and fourth generation TC. Other than the Guest Network feature on the newer model, I cannot tell them apart, performance wise, in normal day to day use.

Mar 7, 2012 12:25 PM in response to mark fromrichmond

Does this mean that the AEBS is better than TC? Sorry to appear dense here but I am looking to get the maximum out of my equipment. I know that the speed is no better than what the ISP can but I am more concerned with having so many devices on my network, is that slowing the best speed I can get from my ISP?

Read the review..

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4577/airport-extreme-5th-gen-and-time-capsule-4th- gen-review-faster-wifi-/6

The AEBS is a tiny bit better in their testing... than TC.. I guess it would depend alot on the reviewer and how strict the testing is.

You will get no improvement whatsoever using 100times faster 10GBit network in your house.. no difference as all is bound by the ISP. As long as the speed of connection in the house exceeds that of the ISP by a factor of 3 or more.. sorry there is no difference at all.

You seem difficult to convince.. test it yourself.. use ethernet.. on MBP and then wireless.. does the internet go any faster??

If all the TC's work the same then why do they have different generations. I assume with each new generation the TC is better in its performance. So what is the differences between the 1st Generation TC and the 4th Generation and how does that effect performance?

The TC performance has improved.. because not everybody has slow internet and they do things on their local lan.. what you do on local lan is entirely affected by speed of the connections.

Difference between gen1 and gen4 TC please read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Time_Capsule

More range.. bigger hard disk. All helps for local network.. all useless for internet.

time capsule generations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.