Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Apple TV allow me to stream films from my MacBook to my HDTV

I am confused about Apple TV's capabilities. Does it allow me to stream films wirelessly from somewhere like LoveFilm straight onto my HDTV?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 9:25 AM

Currently no.

AppleTV will play:

1 - compatible media added to local computer's itunes - this is either video/music in a suitable format created by the user or from itunes Store.

2 - music/video using 'Airplay' from certain iOS devices (iPhones/iPads/iPod Touch), this can in some cases include web content or app content but not everything plays - the content provider can limit what can be Airplayed. iPad 2 and iPhone4S can 'mirror' screen to the TV too.

3 - iTunes movie rentals direct from the web (in SD or HD), YouTube and Netflix if available in your country - content direct from the web without a computer

4 - itunes Match music direct from the web

5 - iTunes Store TV Show purchases direct from the web without a computer

To confuse you even more there are often several ways to accomplish the same thing but some work better than other.

Also the goalposts keep moving with iOS developments, software updates and potentially new hardware.

Look here:

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

Apple has an imminent media event - this usually means new product releases - if AppleTV has an update (or anything else for that matter) the store and link above will usually reflect the changes within a few hours - store may be unavailable if changes are made.

AC

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2012 9:25 AM in response to Jardange

Currently no.

AppleTV will play:

1 - compatible media added to local computer's itunes - this is either video/music in a suitable format created by the user or from itunes Store.

2 - music/video using 'Airplay' from certain iOS devices (iPhones/iPads/iPod Touch), this can in some cases include web content or app content but not everything plays - the content provider can limit what can be Airplayed. iPad 2 and iPhone4S can 'mirror' screen to the TV too.

3 - iTunes movie rentals direct from the web (in SD or HD), YouTube and Netflix if available in your country - content direct from the web without a computer

4 - itunes Match music direct from the web

5 - iTunes Store TV Show purchases direct from the web without a computer

To confuse you even more there are often several ways to accomplish the same thing but some work better than other.

Also the goalposts keep moving with iOS developments, software updates and potentially new hardware.

Look here:

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

Apple has an imminent media event - this usually means new product releases - if AppleTV has an update (or anything else for that matter) the store and link above will usually reflect the changes within a few hours - store may be unavailable if changes are made.

AC

Does Apple TV allow me to stream films from my MacBook to my HDTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.