Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some keys on my MacBook are not working.

Some of the keys on my white MacBook (13-inch Mid 2007) have recently stopped working.

Here is a list of some of the keys that are not working: "1 2 3 4 5 9 0 r o p h m BACKSPACE".

Here are some keys that are working just fine: "6 7 8 q w e t y u i a s d f g j k l z x c v b n SPACEBAR".

The symptoms are consistent. No changes noticed over a period of two weeks during which the machine has been restarted several times and left turned off for a couple of days in a row.

The top case was replaced free of charge about 2 years ago due to cracks in the palm rests. All the keys on the external USB Apple keyboard that I am currently using are working fine.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so what you did to solve it. As the machine is quite old I don't mind taking the risk of opening it up to fix it if necessary. If all else fails I shall take it to the local dealer and get a quote for them to fix it for me.

MacBook (13-inch), Mac OS X (10.7.2), Mid 2007

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2017 6:46 PM

Thanks TimTip.

This worked for me. Somehow mouse key was enabled.

unchecked mouse keys checkbox as given in below link and it worked for me.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1381

32 replies

Mar 7, 2012 12:31 PM in response to TimTip

I found this helpful article (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1381) and worked my way through the section "Some keys don't work as expected".

All the following functions/settings are disabled or turned off:

• Text to speech / Speak selected text when the key is pressed
  • Slow Keys
  • Mouse Keys.

The keyboard viewer just confirms my list of keys that are not working.

Starting in safe mode makes no difference; nor does booting from the Mac OS X Install Disc and running Terminal from the Utilities menu. The same keys as before fail to work.

This seems to confirm that it's a hardware issue. Anyone have any suggestions?

Aug 25, 2012 5:26 AM in response to flori_plo

You may want to sit down before reading further, it wasn't cheap.

The store charged me NOK 2499 (approx. USD 430) for parts (entire topcase including new keyboard and trackpad), labour and tax. They also recommended replacing the battery for NOK 1199 but the battery still lasts about an hour and I had already blown my budget.

I have to say I am pleased with the repair - it does look like a new machine. But I am also disappointed that I was not allowed to attempt the repair myself to save some money on such an old machine. This Apple policy *****.

Nov 28, 2012 11:26 PM in response to res6jya6

Class action for a problem on a five year old machine? Good luck with that one.

Have you checked if Apple will replace it free of charge? They did for me the first time, when the machine was already three years old.

[off topic 1]

I had to giggle when I saw that someone had censored the final word from my previous comment. I suppose I was supposed to say "This Apple policy was less than optimal for me".

[offtopic 2]

"Hav'ng" - really?

That has to be the worst contraction I have seen for a long time. You could have typed "Having" and used exactly the same number of keystrokes. Thanks for making me smile 😉

Feb 21, 2013 3:44 PM in response to TimTip

Hi guys, having a very similar problem on my MacBook White 13" A1181, where my DELETE key will not work when I press it and where 1 also triggers 6, Q also triggers Y, A also triggers H, Z also triggers N and SPACE also triggers DELETE.

I strongly believe its a hardware fault, I was just wondering due to being able to get a US keyboard layout easier and cheaper then an EU (or UK) layout would a US layout still function 100% the same (obviously keys will be different) but will all the keys still work correctly when connected to the ribbon connector within the mac?

Apr 3, 2013 7:26 PM in response to TimTip

I have the same problem and would like to know how much such a hardware replacement approx. costs? Because if it is too expensive, I might want to consider to get a used MacBook Pro as replacement and retire my MacBook White Mid 2010.

I am pretty sure that it is a hardware problem, because when the MacBook is open, I cannot enter sleep, since it awakes itself immediately (there might be a closed circuit?).

However, when I use a bluetooth keyboard when the MacBook is closed, everything works just fine.

Some keys on my MacBook are not working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.