Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX Says Can't open duplicate event.... but it's not a duplicate?

Hi there, I'm trying to open an FCPX event that I moved to an external harddrive. After moving the event folder, I deleted the original event from my internal drive.

When I try to open the event from the external drive, FCPX Gives me the error warning saying that the event " is already open with the same identifier as..... (so the) the second document cannot be opened..." The directory path it gives for the "duplicate" events is exactly the same. It's considering the same file as a duplicate of itself.

I cannot open the Event. I have also tried opening from backup, as well as moving the backup folder out of the event folder in case it thought that was the duplicate. I have also trashed preferences.

Another odd thing: The project linked to the Event in question is opening fine. All media is connected. But the Event is not showing up at all in the Library in FCPX.

Any thoughts here? Thanks for your help!

User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.8Ghz i7, 4GB RAM,

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 11:33 AM

11 replies

Mar 7, 2012 1:38 PM in response to andynick

You are right to suspect that first, however, there are no other drive connected to my computer when this error comes up, and I have triple checked that the event is not on the eternal.

Besides, reading the warning message, it says that it is looking at a file in the exact same directory as the file it claims is the duplicate..... hmm.... mystery.

Mar 7, 2012 6:23 PM in response to Paul Cuciti

I've tried finding where the files are it could be trying to link to. But all the clips and event files from the internal drive where it was previously stored are gone and gone. I really can't figure out what's going on. Even thoug h FCP says it can't open the "second file", it doesn't open any version of this event even if I hit "OK" and FCP opens.

FCPX Says Can't open duplicate event.... but it's not a duplicate?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.