Previous 1 2 Next 19 Replies Latest reply: May 26, 2012 5:38 AM by herringn
amitkapila2 Level 1 Level 1

I just tried to update my iPad 2 to iOS 5.1 and I got the old dock connector and iTunes logo.. asking me to restore.

There was no option other than to restore.

I have just finished updating my iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S - both went smoothly.

I back up to the cloud from my iPad. I hope I have not lost stuff that is not backed up to the iCloud. Or is it all backed up ?

eg. GoodReader Documents ?

Any one had a similar problem..? What went wrong... is this something I should have anticipated ?

Cheers...

Amit.

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1, Now being updated to iOS 5.1
  • P. Phillips Level 1 Level 1

I had zero issues updating Directly. That is downloaded directly to iPad and without using iTunes on my MBP. Sorry but have no suggestions but will look around and post back if anything found. Good luck

• Ralph9430 Level 6 Level 6

I also had no issue when updating via Wi-Fi directly from Apple. I'm sure that, for whatever reason, a few will have problems with the update. For this reason you should be sure to do a full sync so as to have all data stored on your computer should something go amiss.

• amitkapila2 Level 1 Level 1

Thanks Philips / Ralph.

Luckily I found a backup on iTunes about a month old. So am restoring now.

Also found a goodreader back up from Feb 26th. So thats OK.

My question now is - having restored from iTunes can I also restore from the Cloud backup ?

How does this work ?

• Srfsup4024 Level 1 Level 1

Similar problem here. Updated 3GS phone and iPad. Phone seems ok ish. Starts skipping around whe typing. Can't keep up. But worse is my iPad. After update it rebooted, only to freeze up and crash. Backlight blank screen. After about 5-10 mins, it shutdown, rebooted, only to do the same thing. As soon as I touch it every time. It has done that at least 5 times now. What is going on? And my phones inablilty to keep up with my typing has become increasingly annoying. 10 mins to to write this stupid post!  Aaaaaaggggghhhh!

• Ferretbite Level 4 Level 4

I've noticed that this is a trend whenever a new software hits the internet.  My theory is that there's too many of us trying to download and verify the software at the same time. Which is why I've decided to wait and I humbly suggest everyone do the same to prevent the annoying 'neverending reboot'

• Mussina34 Level 1 Level 1

I am having the same problem.  I have updated Iphones 4s,4, and 3gs with no problems.  My ipad will not even respond when plugged in with USB.  Screen just says Connect to Itunes

• ayeshafl Level 1 Level 1

I'd perform a DFU restore, followed by a restore from iCloud Backup.

• amitkapila2 Level 1 Level 1

@ayeshafl : I did the DFU Restore.. but how can I do a iCloud restore now ? Treid googling this - but no luck.

• Lswimteacher Level 1 Level 1

I have the ipad2 and just got the notification on my iPad tonight about the update. I was hesitant to update directly from my iPad so I came here and am now very concerned about this update and am very hesitant to update now. Anyone who has updated directly from their device please help.

• Demo Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.ipad
    iPad

I updated directly OTA on my iPad and my iPod Touch the day that the iOS update came out which I guess must have been on Wednesday. I had absolutely no problems or issues whatsoever.

Nobody can guarantee what, if any problems you may have - but you are asking I am telling you - that it went fine for me. I performed the updates on both devices at home while connected to my home WiFi network. It took each device about 15 minutes to update from start to finish.

I went to Settings>General>Software Update> the update showed up (but I already knew that it was available) and then I updated successfully. I did set both devices to not go to sleep until after the updastes were over. Settings>General>Auto Lock>Never. When the updates completed - I set Auto Lock for 5 minutes again.

I did an OTA update on my iPad 2 and had zero issues. The update did request I plugin the iPad to charge while downloading and updating to insure all would go well. It did and am happy with the improvements including battery life - much better. Good luck

• Lswimteacher Level 1 Level 1

Okay thank you very much! I'll try it post back when I do see how I goes

• flguy Level 1 Level 1

Just went to update my iPad2 through iTunes today and the iPad crashed.  Was trying to load the latest 5.1  Seems like a trend?  I have never had a problem with it before.  Very annoying.

Previous 1 2 Next