I have an issue updating my iPhone to iOS 5.1
I wanted to download the update over the air, I tap on Check for Update and then it's checking for update for long time and at the end there is a communicate "Unable to Check for Update. An error occured while checking for a software update".The same thing is on my iPod touch.
What can I do, if I don't wanna update via iTunes?
I have iOS 5.0.1, don't have jailbreak.
If you are getting the error message "Unable to check for update" when you try an OTA (over the air update) there are two things to try:
1. Change DNS Servers
- Settings -> Wi-Fi
- Click the blue arrow on your connected network
- Delete everything in DNS and replace it with 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199
- Try again
- If this works, you will probably want to remove the WiFi network using "Forget This Network" and then reconnect to it to get your original DNS servers back. Alternatively, make a note of the original DNS servers before deleting them and replace it after you are done.
If the above does not work then try the second option
2. Reset device
- Backup your iPhone/iPad to iCloud (very important). Settings -> iCloud -> Storage and Backup -> Backup Now (at the bottom)
- Erase your device. Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase All Content And Settings
- Device will reset and wipe itself
- When it restarts follow the instructions on screen and setup your device. You're choices here do not really matter except for restoring from a backup. Do not restore a backup, choose "Set up as new".
- When complete, the Software Update should now work which will install IOS 5.1
- When installed, Erase the device again. (See Step 2)
- Once erased, follow the wizard but this time select that you wish to restore from a backup in iCloud. Select the backup that you took in step 1.
- Your device should be back to normal and with IOS 5.1.
These are the two known fixes at the moment. I hope this helps.