Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does "Save new documents as packages" mean?

Pages '09 Preferences has a checkbox titled, "Save new documents as packages". What does that mean? Why would I use it?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 2:34 PM

The native document format for Pages 09 is a package, which is a folder set to be treated as a file by the Finder and elsewhere. When that checkbox is off, Pages zips the packages while saving them; this reduces the amount of space the documents use on the drive and allows them to be attached directly, but makes it harder to extract document content manually, which is only useful in recovering the content of damaged documents.

(64626)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2012 2:34 PM in response to Bob Faulkner

The native document format for Pages 09 is a package, which is a folder set to be treated as a file by the Finder and elsewhere. When that checkbox is off, Pages zips the packages while saving them; this reduces the amount of space the documents use on the drive and allows them to be attached directly, but makes it harder to extract document content manually, which is only useful in recovering the content of damaged documents.

(64626)

Feb 15, 2013 6:08 AM in response to Niel

Hi Niel,

In addition to your explanation, I would like to know:

1. for general day to day use by an occasional user, what is the best option, to check or not to check the "Save new documents as packages" ?
  2. As well, for myself that provides Mac presentations and uploads .pages to an internet server for distribution to members, which option should I use?
  3. Then again, if saving to iCloud, which option is best?
  4. Which option creates the greater file size?
  5. Could you define zips in your sentence : «When that checkbox is off, Pages zips the packages while saving them;». Does that mean "removes" and what is actually saved in «saving them» ?

I would appreciate your assistance in explaining this as I don't have a techical or programming background which I think would be needed to understanding as you indicated the "native document format".

I hope that you can help me with this.

Thank you in advance.

Jean-Paul

What does "Save new documents as packages" mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.