Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Following update, no display on G5

Following 10.5.8 update, G5 has no display (blue screen). Have performed safe mode, repair, Reset SMU/PRAM. I can view the desktop if I connect to iMac. Is it safe to assume the video card needs to be replaced?

PowerMac

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 9:15 PM

Sounds lie it, but does Video show if you bootfrom the Install Disc holding the c key down?

6 replies

Mar 8, 2012 1:14 AM in response to BDAqua

Come to think of it, I had video when booting from install disc while holding c key down. I went to Disk Utility from Installer menu, chose First Aid > Mac OSX Volume > Repair. The result was Volume Header needs minor repair/1HFS Volume repaired. Checked Permissions and all priviledges were verified or repaired. Upon reboot, blue screen. Upon several reboots, blue screen.....?

Mar 8, 2012 6:07 AM in response to Mref2

Do you have the original software install discs with the AHT on them?

If so, run that.

The machine wouldn't happen to show video when booted to an OS install disc would it (not then, now)?

If so, reinstall of the OS may be in order.

A corrupt update file could be the culprit.

Might download the OS X, 10.5.8 Combo Update to your other machine. Then, via your network, reinstall the update.

This would likely patch any failed kexts.

Following update, no display on G5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.