Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update to IOS 5.1, says IOS 5.0.1 is the latest software, Can't update to IOS 5.1, says IOS 5.0.1 is the latest software

Since a few hours ago, IOS 5.1 has been released but on both my iPad and my iPhone, it still says that my software is up to date though I have IOS 5.0.1. Both my parents have been able to update, and most of my friends are updating right now. Any help?

I do not use itunes to update, I want to update directly from my iDevice as they are not synced to my computer and everything will be erased.

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 9:00 PM

11 replies

Mar 8, 2012 7:32 AM in response to Jiffi

I don't know if this will be any help to you...we posted the same problem and while I'm searching for answers, I ended up here. Can't update either, says my 5.0.1 is up to date software (which obviously we know is not anymore).

Tried to turning off, reset settings, wait it out... nothing, nada... I hope some apple genius guy can help us here cuz personally, I would love to download the iPhoto and i'd like to update my iMovie and Pages which i currently can't cuz it needs 5.1.

Mar 8, 2012 10:56 PM in response to mikealano

If your network DNS is not a known-good service such as OpenDNS or Google Public DNS, you will likely encounter connection and download issues with the iTunes Store servers for the iOS 5.1 update.

Switch to OpenDNS or Google Public DNS as a first troubleshooting step. Alternatively, another wifi hotspot that is using known-good DNS services will do the same thing.

Can't update to IOS 5.1, says IOS 5.0.1 is the latest software, Can't update to IOS 5.1, says IOS 5.0.1 is the latest software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.