Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Export Some of My Photos ...

I have been documenting outings in a forest for trail development purposes. I've taken several photos that I wish to copy in order to display them at a local volunteer fair or on our organization's website. However, when I choose Export on some of the photos, a prompt appears stating that it is unable to export the particular photo. I then tried to copy it, but this does not work either. I have tried sending the photo to e-mail but it does not come through properly.

These photos have been copied previously into PPT presentation and onto our website but for some reason I cannot create an export file in order to print them for display purposes. Many hours of outings were undertaken and these are very important photos to use for display purposes. I am at a loss as to why this is occuring. Very strange.

HELP!

Thank you, in advance, for your assistance.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 10:04 PM

10 replies

Mar 7, 2012 11:08 PM in response to kananaskis

What version of iPhoto?

If 11:

Select one of the affected photos in the iPhoto Window and go File -> Reveal in Finder -> Original. A Finder Window should open with the file selected. Does it?

If an earlier version:

Select one of the affected photos in the iPhoto Window and right click on it. From the resulting menu select 'Show File (or 'Show Original File' if that's available). A Finder Window should open with the file selected. Does it?

Mar 7, 2012 11:29 PM in response to Yer_Man

Hi, Terence,

Thank you for taking time to respond with some troubleshooting instructions.

My iPhoto Version 9.2.1

Upon checking the second set of instructions, when I right click all that is shown in the pop-up menu are the following items:

Rotate - Hide - Trash - Cut - Copy- Make Key Photo - the latter I tried but nothing happened.

Previously, when I have chosen copy of the selected photos, no problems until I tried to Export them.

Hope I can resolve this glitch I seem to be having with iPhoto.

Mar 8, 2012 12:27 AM in response to kananaskis

You have iPhoto 11 (which is v9... confusing? Of course not 😉 ) So you would use the first set of instructions.

The ! turns up when iPhoto loses the connection between the thumbnail in the iPhoto Window and the file it represents.

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Rebuild iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one. .

Regards

TD

Mar 8, 2012 12:43 PM in response to Yer_Man

Okay, had to engage Option 2. The first option did not rebuild the entire program. After downloading the iPhoto Library Manager, whereby it included all the photos, etc., I do not know how to access this new library in iPhoto. I choose 'Create a New Library', but did not know how I transfer the program's 'Default Library' into the 'New Llibrary'. This is all very knew to me so I am confused as to when I now open iPhoto, that I have it's library restored completely.

HELP! Once again!

Thanks!

Mar 8, 2012 1:21 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you, Terence. I was lost in the sea of advanced knowledge having never encountered problems with iPhoto not exporting or copying photos. I could not have performed this rather daunting task without your assistance which is so greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, during the process I lost 26 photos. I did a back-up of iPhoto by placing the original application on the LaCie. However, that proved not to be a back-up because when I went to LaCie to view what photos did not transfer, it opened it up as the restored version after Library Manager performed its job.

How does this happen that iPhoto suddenly does not perform? Is there a way to archive the events and albums to prevent them from becoming 'gltiched'? I have no recollection which photos these are except for a few that I have mounted on our project's website and in PPT presentations, thankfully. This has been a rather disconcerting experience with this program.

Exporting is working now.

Many thanks! 🙂

Mar 8, 2012 2:13 PM in response to Yer_Man

Hi, again, Terence,

This is to follow-up my last reply whereby I mentioned losing 26 photos. Upon, checking over my reinstated iPhoto Library, it was the photos I had in the 'TRASH FOLDER' that I had not emptied for fear of losing all my photos as referenced Dude's discussion.

So, if anything else, with all that I have just endured, it has turned out perfectly fine. I do have all my photos after all. Sooooooo, relieved!

Will look forward to your response regarding 'trashing photos' under Dude's discussion.

Cannot Export Some of My Photos ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.