Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 5.1 rollout causing battery drain?

Currently my AT&T iPhone 4S is running iOS 5.0.1 non-jailbroken of course. I have location services, Siri, bluetooth, WiFi all turned off to conserve battery. Battery life was okay until yesterday. I noticed it started draining like crazy even though I closed all applications and even powered off the phone and turned it back on. I fully recharged it overnight and by noon without hardly using it I noticed the battery had drained to 66%. This puzzled me and I once again made sure all applications were closed and not running in the background and powered cycled my phone once again. By mid afternoon still without any use it had drained to 25%! Finally, it dawned on me! iOS 5.1 was being deployed and my phone was using my 3G connection to download it! When I got home I enabled WiFi and sure enough it finished downloading iOS 5.1 and asked if I wanted to update. I didn't because I haven't backed up my data yet. I assumed since it had completed downloading the iOS 5.1 update using WiFi it would stop the battery drain but no such luck. I recharged my phone to 100% and it has drained again to 70% in approximately two hours. This leads me to suspect in spite of having already downloaded the iOS 5.1 update, somehow my iPhone 4S is still downloading the update using my wireless 3G connection! This is all suspicion on my part but there's no other pausible explanation I can think of at this moment. The timing of the battery drain and release of iOS 5.1 is just to coincidental. This is definitely something I think Apple needs to investigate if they haven't already. Is it possible the iPhone is re-downloading iOS updates using both 3G and WiFi? Hopefully after I update to iOS 5.1 this issue will finally be resolved once and for all. I wish Apple would give us the option to not automatically download updates. 😟

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 12:02 AM

15 replies

Mar 8, 2012 12:51 AM in response to Platovang

There is a glitch that has been annoying me for some time and still wasnt fixed in 5.1 , when I charge the phone 100% & then unplug it I find that the standby is equal to usage which causes battery drain even when I'm using the phone the standby is still equal to usage the only way I found to solve this problem was enabling 3G after charging the phone and leave it in standby for about 10 minutes so check this maybe you have the same problem

Mar 12, 2012 6:12 AM in response to Platovang

It is not a good idea to close all your apps, maybe the ones that have GEO services enabled.. but you should leave the rest. iOS is very well at handling the suspended processes and it actually improves your battery life ( + making your life easier.. ).

I suggest downloading the developer tools and using Instruments to log power usage of your iPhone, maybe you can find out what is going wrong

Also I think you might want to try some default iOS problem solving measures, e.g. restoring your iphone using iTunes and calibrating your battery by completely draining it, which by the looks of it shouldn't be a problem at all 😀

Mar 13, 2012 1:58 PM in response to Platovang

I want to post an update and thank everyone for their suggestions. After days of battery draining/discharging, battery life has returned to normal. Horray! I haven't updated to iOS 5.1 and the problem went away by itself. I am left with the speculation that the iOS 5.1 download that resumed using my cellular data connection in spite of it already being fully downloaded over WiFi has finished too. I did check my usage meter in settings and it looks like the iOS deployment didn't count against my data metrics which I find odd too.

Mar 15, 2012 7:56 PM in response to Platovang

IPhone 4, no problems with battery before updating to ios 5.1 but two days after updating. My battery was draining ridiculously fast even in Standby mode. For example, I left it laying there with around 90% charge, 6 hours without touching it, came back and it only had 35% left. All the settings are as I had them before the upgrade (wifi, location service, 3G all on), but it was never like that before, it would maybe only go down by 5-10%. Even in normal use it is draining much faster than before, but hard to quantfiy as I use in different ways all the time, I just find now I have to charge it much earlier than before.

My wife who uses an iPhone 4s and updated to ios 5.1 the same time is also complaining her battery life has worsened signifcantly after the update.

Mar 16, 2012 4:49 PM in response to Ed000008

Ed after 4 days mine is fixed. I did a reset on the phone and then a restore via itunes. I did this twice and then yesterday just did a reset. the phone was also running really hot... Interestingly I first new the situation was resolved when I noticed the phone was not hot. So not sure if one or all of these things resolved the issue or whether it was just time. Anyways back to a not great but manageable battery life. Hope this helps...

Mar 27, 2012 12:18 PM in response to Platovang

Hi everybody,

I had no battery issues before 5.1 on either iPad or iPhone, but after the rollout and update my phone and pad were dead after significantly faster time.

My iPhone after only 6 hours of use (before it would last in similar conditions about 9-10 hours)

My iPad after 2-3 days (before 7-9 days)

I tried to turn of one thing after another and finally after turning off wi-fi it went back to normal.

I noticed that both the phone and pad where accessing the net over wi-fi approx. once a second and I think this causes it.

Now I only use 3G as I have an unlimited dataplan on both devices and the speed is about 1-10MB depending on network reception and usage.

Just to let you others know what helped me.

Mar 27, 2012 1:07 PM in response to Platovang

I'm having exactly the same experience. I had to take my first 4S back to the store for a replacement. All was then fine with the new one until it downloaded this latest OS and now the battery is draining completely in less than 5 hours with everything apart from 2G off. No Siri, location services etc. Is there any way to restore back to before the update ?

Apr 5, 2012 6:11 AM in response to Platovang

I have the iphone 3GS, my phone sucked on battery life to begin with lol, it would die completly in 3 hours after a full charge, without being used. After I updated to 5.01 well it really drained fast to the point I couldn't even turn it on. I come across another forum site with a suggestion of what this other guy did with the same problem. I reset my iphone, then I backed it up with itunes and done a restore on my phone. I also turned of wi fi. And WoW what a difference!!! My phone went from totally dying in 3 hours, to awesome battery life. I done a full charge at 10 pm last night and at 8 am my battery was down to 97%....let's say my mouth dropped lol I was shocked. Turning off wi fi really helped, it seems to drain the battery super fast. Not sure if doing the reset and restore helped though. I was just folowing another forum users advice on what he did to help it, and he said it helped. My phone still drains with usage but not near as much as it did before. I can actually turn it on, and not have it be just a decoration on my desk. If I turn on wi fi it drains 2x faster.

iOS 5.1 rollout causing battery drain?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.