Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mic not working on speakerphone after iOS 5.1 update

Updated to 5.1 last night.

When using the phone, I click SPEAKER and whilst I can hear the other person, the mic on my iPhone is muted and they can't hear me.

Works fine without loudspeaker on.

Cannot press mute button to "unmute", it has no effect.

Incidentally, the noise cancelling mic at the top, doesn't get muted, it's on the main mic...

Anyone else having this problemo?

iPhone4S

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 2:43 AM

6 replies

Mar 8, 2012 11:10 PM in response to eswessel

It must be a software problem... My partner has the EXACT same issue - we upgraded our devices pretty much at the same time as each other...

He eventually took his phone into Apple Store last night and spoke with a genius. The guy was bit of an idiot really, checking the phone for water damage etc and insisting that it "coulnd't possibly be a software problem"... He failed to understand that two iPhones in the same household had simultaneously developed the exact same problem, after upgrading to 5.1, when they worked perfectly fine about 40 minutes earlier...

Anyway, after much huffing and puffing, my partner walked away with a brand new phone, but we had to leave it overnight to upgrade back to 5.1 and subsequently restore itself... Frankly, I'm not all that convinced it's going to work, but I will update you when I know what the latest is,,,!

Mar 11, 2012 11:08 AM in response to ianrob84

I am also having this issue. Have worked out that the microphone works fine for Siri, voice memo and with a call without speakerphone on. The microphone does not work when speakerphone is on and also my video has very muffled quiet audio. I've booked a genius appointment tomorrow too but this has to be a software issue surely but not going to complain cos will probably get a brand new iPhone!!!

Sep 21, 2012 8:14 PM in response to rajib_musa

I upgraded my IPhone4 to IOS6 today and have been experiencing this issue too...earlier i thought it could be software issue but after restoring the phone it did not help....this steps suggested on the youtube link actually worked for me and the mic is working absolutely fine now....thank you for sharing the link!

Mic not working on speakerphone after iOS 5.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.