9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2012 11:20 AM by cdef1
jeffj4AU Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

I've had an iPhone since the 3G and with all the updates, I was always able to update the day of the release. I understand Apple has far more customers now, but I tried very early this morning several times and still no luck. Plus, I don't understand why so few updates since the 4S was released. Apple has always been good about updating their software frequently. I sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I doubt very seriously this would happening if Steve Jobs were still alive.

• 1. Re: iOS 5.1 won't update
    vincas Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)

I can't update from iOS 5.0.1 to 5.1 on my iPad 1 or iPhone 4 either, either OTA or via iTunes. I get an error message that there is no network connection.

• 2. Re: iOS 5.1 won't update
    Raja3874 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

i am downloading the update since morning 3 tmes i got message that no network connection!

• 3. Re: iOS 5.1 won't update
    ukdolfan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Why do people rush into updates like 5.1 that basically improve NOTHING but cause problems after problem??

Just sit back, wait a month for the issues to be sorted and then do the update then.

I use this mantra and have never had a problem:-)

• 4. Re: iOS 5.1 won't update
    norman_bates Level 3 Level 3 (670 points)

The problem was probably caused because there was a huge rush on the OTA downloads as well as iTunes and the latest iTunes update so the servers probably couldn't cope.

@ukdolfan the reason for the rush into updating is because of the battery draining issues plagueing the 4S and 4 on 5.0.1 but to be honest its not massively improved it

• 5. Re: iOS 5.1 won't update
    MinusXIII Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

"I doubt very seriously this would happening if Steve Jobs were still alive."

Yeah, because everyone knows that Steve Jobs was a supercomputer that could handle the internet traffic of 500 million iphones simultaneously downloading the same program.

You, sir, are a turd and I hope Steve Jobs haunts your pets.

• 6. Re: iOS 5.1 won't update
    Springbk Level 2 Level 2 (215 points)

If you are getting the error message "Unable to check for update" when you try an OTA (over the air update)

Change DNS Servers

Settings -> Wi-Fi

Click the blue arrow on your connected network

Delete everything in DNS and replace it with 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

Try again

If this works, you will probably want to remove the WiFi network using "Forget This Network" and then reconnect to it to get your original DNS servers back. Alternatively, make a note of the original DNS servers before deleting them and replace it after you are done.

If you are getting the error message "Unable to check for update" when you try through iTunes

On your Mac

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, and then click Network.

Select the network connection service you want to use (such as Wi-Fi or Ethernet, unless you named it something else) from the list, and then click Advanced.

Click DNS, and then click Add at the bottom of the DNS Servers list. Enter the IPv4 address for the DNS server.

You can use OpenDNS

or

You can Google Public DNS if you want

• 7. Re: iOS 5.1 won't update
    cdef1 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi, Been having the exact same problem, have 4 devices that can upgrade to the new 5.1, it dosent matter how you go about it it just will not update, I was on the phone to apple again today as I have been trying to update for the past couple of days, they suggested resetting my router (techs always say that first) but they really did not have any answers, I also tried downloading direct from apple the software update is there on their own website but there is no download link, also third party link like redmond pie points to direct apple download but the page just hangs. When I pointed this out to apple they didnt know what to say! I use the ipad a lot and wanted to download the new iphoto app but seeing as I can not get the update I cant buy, I dont like the notion of everbody is trying to update all at once, apple know how many devices are active, what software is currently being run and I am sure that they would take a lot more flack if the servers kept on crashing, but why is there no direct link to the download for 5.1 on their own website?

Screen Shot 2012-03-11 at 18.33.42.png

• 8. Re: iOS 5.1 won't update
    hapster Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Agreed most of the time. However, some of my app's on my devices are in need of updating with the 5.1 and are hung up. So, we either need an option to quit the updates of the app's or we need an announcement from Apple to discuss what is going on for their faithful customers. Apple's PR folks need to emplore the company to speak up! I'm just sayin'....

• 9. Re: iOS 5.1 won't update
    cdef1 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi Hapster,

finally managed to update, changed the dns settings and then it worked, ipad however a bit buggy, also thought that dictation would be on there but got left behind again, really could have used that feature, I will wait for ipad 4, like i have done and waiting on iphone 5, cant keep up with updating my equipment every time a new one comes out, anyway i tried the dns settings 8.8.8.8 and it worked used one of the redmond pie links to get the 5.1 software