Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4G new ipad

I am in Australia, so i pre-ordered an Ipad wifi + 4g $719. I been researching and am i being ripped off since that 4G may not even be available within my area? and i will be stuck in using 3G service still? first time buying an ipad for me.

iphone 4s-OTHER, iOS 5

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 5:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 5:50 AM

It is not a ripoff if your carriers do not offer 4G service since Apple has no control over your carriers. If there is 4G in your area you need to make sure it is compatible with the frequencis Apple has specified for the new iPad.

5 replies

Mar 8, 2012 3:47 PM in response to NMJH

NMJH - I know exactly what you mean. 4G Providers don't use the same frequency in Australia as in America.

The frequency the Americans use won't be available by our government until after 2015. So the 4G chipset in the iPad isn't compatible with our biggest 4G Provider Telstra.

A large number of European and Asian country's are going to be going with the same frequency that Telstra in Australia use. So the 4G won't work in those countries also.

Where I work was about to purchase them for all our staff because of the 4G, as we all use 4G USB dongles on our MacBooks now.

But that has been put on the back burner now.

Maybe they will update the chipset in the 2013 iPad!!

4G new ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.