Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to update Apple TV 2

Hello,

I am trying to update my Apple 2nd Gen TV to latest iOS 5.1. However when i go via Menu option & click for "Check For Updates". The update is failing saying, can't download the update. My internet connection is fine & APple TV is able to download movies, but not this update.

Is there a way i can update it connecting to my laptop? Earlier I had updated iOS vi Wi-Fi, but this time it is failing.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

AppleTV 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 5:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 5:34 AM

I'm in the same boat. Others are too. Others are even unluckier as they have downloaded it and are now stuck with two icons. Count yourself lucky in some regard that you haven't been able to update.

16 replies

Mar 8, 2012 5:58 AM in response to Vvinay

I have updated my ATV2 to 5.0 iPad 2 & iPod Touch 4th Gen to 5.1 , but did it early this morning to avoid the later traffic.

As with the poster above, all went fine, but it takes a while. Particularly towards the end of the "preparing the download" step, the operation appears to hang for a few minutes, and the white progress bar stops. Patience is the key, after a while it continues again!

Mar 8, 2012 7:11 AM in response to Vvinay

You. An definitely tell their servers and network are highly utilized right now. I have a 35MB symmetrical fiber connection at home and even I noticed some degradation in update speed.

That being said I waited until 1:00am to upgrade apple TV, 1 iPad, and 2 iPhone 4

No issues except that Apple TV2 won't connect to iTunes under the purchased movie section but all other areas connect to iTunes just fine. Most likely will work itself out but I can't wait to stream my movies!

Mar 8, 2012 9:50 AM in response to Vvinay

I just updated my Apple TV (Gen 2) with no issues. It seemed to 'stick' at about 75% through 'applying update' but after about 10 minutes it continues. No issues here. It may be that you just need to wait, if your problem is that you're getting 'stuck' halfway, as it just takes time. The entire update took about 15-20 minutes and then it was up and running.

Mar 10, 2012 8:13 PM in response to Vvinay

Try this to upgrade Apple TV 2, it worked for me.:

go to the ATV settings => General => Network => Configure TCP/IP => Manually=> Skip the IP address going directly to DONE = > Skip the Subnet Mask going directly to DONE =>Skip the Router Address going directly to DONE=> Now change the DNS Address to 208.067.222.222 ( before changing the setting write the number down so you can change it back once you finish) and hit done. Once you get the "Configuration Succeeded Message hit DONE and go back to Update Software. It will take a like 20 seconds to start downloading. Once the upgrade is completed follow the same instructions to go back and change the DNS Address to the original number.

Mar 12, 2012 3:56 AM in response to Vvinay

I too have issues with updating to the latest release for my Apple TV 2nd gen. I tried jmhitchcock trick to change the DNS and at least the update started loading and seemed to follow the update proces. Unfortunately the current software version is still showing 4.4. Thanks Apple for setting-up the Apple TV from scratch again for nothing. Anybody else a tip to update my ATV 2nd gen thru wi-fi?

How to update Apple TV 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.