Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rip DVD using MPEG Streamclip on Lion

Guys, I have Quicktime 7 Pro on my Lion Mac Pro.

I want to rip a DVD using MPEG Streamclip to use in FCP but I can't seem to do it as I don't have the MPEG2 Playback component installed. Should this component not have been included with with my FCP Studio package and with my Quicktime 7 Pro?

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 9:02 AM

14 replies

Mar 8, 2012 9:52 AM in response to A1ps

According to Apple the component capability is built into Lion.

Here's what the Squared 5 site says:

The installer of the MPEG-2 Playback Component may refuse to install the component in Lion. Apple states the component is unnecessary in Lion, however MPEG Streamclip still needs it.

To install the component in Lion, please download MPEG Streamclip 1.9.3b7 beta above; inside the disk image you will find the Utility MPEG2 Component Lion: use it to install the MPEG-2 Playback Component in Lion. The original installer's disk image (QuickTimeMPEG2.dmg) is required.

The current versions of MPEG Streamclip cannot take advantage of the built-in MPEG-2 functionality of Lion. For MPEG-2 files you still need to install the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component, which is not preinstalled in Lion. You don't have to install QuickTime 7.

Russ

Mar 18, 2013 5:47 AM in response to A1ps

Handbrake is great for iOS devices. Most of the world is still using DVD players. Mac The Ripper would would quickly rip the DVD and then it could be recreated with Popcorn or Toast.
I won DVD Fab. It is worthless and if you monitor its own forums, my opinion is common. There mist be a similar program to MTR for Lion.
I've used Mac DVD Ripper Pro since Lion was released with no problems.

<Link Edited By Host>

Mar 18, 2013 4:16 AM in response to Hooverlee

This is not about ripping discs so that they can be watched on iOS devices.

It's about converting non-copyrighted (or material that you own the rights on) to an editable format suitable for use in Final Cut Pro. Handbrake does not provide those formats. MPEG Streamclip does.

If the end product is meant to be viewed on iOS, we already have Compressor as part of the FCS suite to make those files.

Mar 18, 2013 7:43 AM in response to A1ps

You can't do it within iTunes directly. You need another app of some sort to copy (rip) the DVD from your disc to your computer.
There are apps that can do this and give you an iPod/iTunes ready file in one step. I think most of us around here like "iMedia Converter".

Free Download, reliable, & runs really well on Mac (I hear the Windows release isn't stable).

Mar 18, 2013 6:19 PM in response to Shane Ross

Hmmmm.

There's about 40 (maybe more) of them with the same basic appearance. Just reskinned by tweaking the interface colors slightly and a new name. iSkySoft, Wondershare etc.

iAmADonkeyForPayingFortyBucksForSomethingiAlreadyHaveOrCouldHaveGotFreeAndDoesAB etterJob would be the only honest way to sell this trash. At least then, when their victims come on here to ask us to help get them out of the mess they now find themselves in, we can just say "serves you right".

On the other hand, these guys come a close second to the nongs that try to push MacKeeper on unsuspecting users. That's just plain, naked evil.

Mar 26, 2013 2:44 AM in response to Nick Holmes

First off, thanks for spending the time putting this together. It is a life saver so I can have high qualify encodes for all devices I use.

My custom settings in Handbrake:

Base Setting = iPod High-RezChanges = 70% Constant Rate, No iPod Atom, Audio 160kbps, Codecs AVC/H.264 Video AAC+AC3 5.1, Strict Anamorhpic, 64Bit (Only if movie ends up greater then 4Gb), delete ":vbv-maxrate=1500:vbv-bufsize=2000" from advanced settings.

Rip DVD using MPEG Streamclip on Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.