Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

32G vs. 64G iPad

I have approximately 35 books I would like to download on an iPad. Should I get the 32G or 64G iPad? Also have about 1200 songs and 3000 pictures.

iPad 2, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 11:08 AM

16 replies

Mar 8, 2012 12:53 PM in response to tonefox

I have these stored on my iPhone 4S and collectively, they use 14 GB. My concern is the new apps for the new iPad - rumored they are larger files now due in part to the retina display. I'm just not sure if 32 GB (although large enough now) will not be consumed quickly as new apps grow in size. Also not addressed for the new iPad is whether pictures can be deleted on the iPad without having to go through iTunes or the Cloud. Any thoughts?

Mar 8, 2012 1:03 PM in response to judithfromtc

People seem to be focusing on the size creep in apps, however, this is likely to be functionality driven more than due to the display for most apps. The real driver that I have found wrt storage space is videos. Now with the new display it is likely that people will move more to HD videos from iTunes, etc.. and this will be what drives the increase in storage required.

If your photos are compressed JPEGs then what you'll have to think about is how many videos you want to carry. There is also the possibility that with the new screen resolution that people start to store pictures at higher resolutions also which might drive storage.

Either way HD is a canny move by Apple as it will ultimately drive revenue growth through iTunes ;-)

Mar 8, 2012 1:10 PM in response to a1000

a1000 wrote:

Either way HD is a canny move by Apple as it will ultimately drive revenue growth through iTunes ;-)

Just one or two of us remember TV sets with 9 inch screens, sold for normal domestic use in the 1950s, as my father bought to watch the coronation of our young Queen Elizabeth II. All larger TVs since have been canny moves to ultimately drive revenue growth. Don't want a bigger screen? Ah - you need HD. Got HD? Ah - you need 3D.

You'll get used to this world as you get older. 😁

Mar 8, 2012 1:21 PM in response to judithfromtc

Save your money on the cost of 4G and get the Wi-Fi only 64 GB. My iPad 2 is 64 GB and when I loaded it with games, movies, photos, books, magazines and newspapers for a trip last DEC it was pushing 45 GB. And my music was not even loaded on the iPad. I use my iPhone 4S for my currently 9.7 GB of music.

4G may be super fast, but until the telecomms come to sensible pricing for data accounts, you can use a total month's data plan in less than a day using 4G on a new iPad 2+.

Mar 8, 2012 2:30 PM in response to tonefox

Ah but since they increased the licence fee in UK for colour they've missed a trick compared to Apple and not increased it for digital or HD or 3D, they've let the pay-per-view/cable providers make the extra money! With the 1G iPad apps were free or 99c/59p with 2G iPad the average price has slowly risen and you can guess which way they'll go fo the 'new iPad'. Good luck to them I say it's all part of the business model.

Mar 8, 2012 2:31 PM in response to judithfromtc

De nada amiga.

Thank You for extending the courtesy of awarding points to comments that are helpful or provide answers in the Apple Support Communities, as this is not mandatory, but it is much appreciated!

When I am in the US I have been using a T-Mobile prepaid microSIM in my iPhone 4S, which worked out great for communications and OK for data for my iPad 2 with the Personal Hotspot. The T-M prepaid plan that I use is US$2 a day with unlimited calls, texting and data. Unfortunately, until T-M reallocates spectrum for the +1 million iPhone users on T-M, the data is EDGE (2G) which is slow. The $2 is only charged on days that I actually use the service, so in between visits to the US my account lies dormant as long as nothing happens to activate the daily charge.

Oct 24, 2012 9:05 AM in response to Dah•veed

Yes - but we're on a budget and the gift is a surprise for a teen. We'd considered getting the 16 gig refurb which was in my splurge budget, but noting the above, and the fact that the 64 3rd gen with retina shaved $150 off the cost of the 4th gens, we're still ahead. Plus - we just upgraded her to a Canon digital outfit and lenses so the improved camera on the iPad 4 was less of an issue than giving her some capacity to do adhoc stuff on campus in the event she has the iPad and not the camera on her.

We upgrade every few years so when she's ready, we'll swap out for something faster. Have another kid waiting for an upgrade. We can give her the old 1st gen as a hand-me-down for reading her college texts (she doesn't do video - just basic stuff) and upgrade to something faster for ourselves next spring.

You've been a big help by the way. Thank you!

32G vs. 64G iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.