Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

preview says I don't have permission to open any of my files

For some reason, whenever I try to open a file in preview (pdf, jpg, whatever), it says I don't have permission to view it. However, I am the owner of all these files (and I can open the files fine in other applications). Here is the screenshot of the error message: User uploaded file

I'm using Lion, version 10.7.3 (11D50b).

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2017 10:48 AM

It worked for me. I had the same problem (file from iCloud, macOS Sierra), so I closed the opened files on Preview and quit the Preview app, and when I tried to open the file (pdf and jpg), it worked well. Thanks for this.

20 replies

Sep 27, 2017 10:10 AM in response to estevan.t

I am a bit confused here, this bug has been going on for at least 5 years and through at least 6 different OS, and the only fix is to quit Preview and restart every time it happens? How does that make any sense? Why was this problem not fixed at the source? It is clearly a bug and it is clearly annoying. Mac people, please fix it.

Oct 21, 2013 10:38 PM in response to fidlet

This is likely a problem with the system's sandboxing routines for Preview. Relaunching the program and/or restarting the system should fix it, but if not then go to the Go menu in the Finder, hold the Option key, and choose "Library." Then go to the Containers folder and remove the folder called "com.apple.Preview" and then try relaunching the program to see if this helps.

preview says I don't have permission to open any of my files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.