Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATV 2, new iOS 5.0, still no NHL Gamecenter in my country

Hi, I recently updated my ATV2 to the newest software ver. 5.0, hoping that NHL Gamecenter app will be supported in my Czech itunes store account. But, it is not, unlike MLB, NBA which Im not interested in. It's only available in US.

On whose side is the problem, Apple or NHL? I have Gamecenter complete season subscription, payed by my czech credit card- gamecenter obviously supports my country.

Is there any workaround? Who should I contact? Switching two countries, one for Gamecenter, one for iTunes match where i must repeatedly fill my pass is driving me crazy.

AppleTV 2, iOS 5

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 1:21 PM

Probably the NHL's

15 replies

Mar 17, 2012 4:27 AM in response to Sleepless90

I have no experience with gamecentre. There may be a myriad of reasons why it's not supported outside of the USA, the most likely one to me being that they sell exclusive rights to someone else for non US broadcasts and thertefore aren't able to broadcast it themselves.

I wouldn't know why they have accepted your credit card if this is the case, but it seems as though they likely shouldn't have done.

I find it very unlikely that this is a problem with the Apple TV, if NHL was supposed to be broadcast outside the US on the Apple TV and it wasn't, I'd imagine the NHL would be putting great pressure on Apple to sort it out. NHL as been unavailable too long for it to be a mistake.

Mar 17, 2012 2:24 PM in response to Winston Churchill

So on second try, they answered me this:

"Access to third-party applications for GameCenter Live is subject to the terms, policies, and restrictions applicable to the respective device manufacturers and application stores.

Regarding the GameCenter application on the Apple TV, Apple was only allowing users to access that software if their apple Store accounts were registered in the US or Canada, no official announcement has been made regarding any changes to that policy.

NHL Web Support"

From that it looks like the problem is on Apple side, right? Nhl gave them app, apple is allowing the app only for americans.

It makes sense, i played with GameCenter Live app for iOS (which is available in Czech iTunes Store) and i found out that it checks my location everytime i launch it. If i set location settings to off, the app wont launch.

Is there any way how to ask Apple technical support for free?

Apr 21, 2012 2:44 AM in response to Sleepless90

Hi sleepless90, as far as I know the iOS Gamecentre app only checks location to provide the game time matching your local timezone. About the NHL app on ATV I am with you helping to bring the Gamecenter to ATVs in Europe (switzerland in my case). It's as you wrote: You can sign up for Gamecentre pro app and have all the content on your i-device but not on ATV. Time to change that.

Feb 28, 2013 4:23 PM in response to JRCH

I'm currently mirroring my iPhone to ATV to watch, but that's just draining my iPhone for no reason!

The picture quality is stunning though despite WiFi to the phone and Airplay to the ATV!

I saw in another thread that NHL replied to someone that NHL Gamecenter should be abailable worldwide on ATV!

Apr 30, 2013 6:15 PM in response to STV23

We knew that already STV23. It will also work with the CANADA Apple Store. But that is not the point. The point is that every time we want to listen to some music, or watch a movie from our library we have to change back to our local store, which is a nuisance. I live in Portugal and I have the same problem.
If we can pay to watch it on other Apple devices like and iPad or iPhone we should be able to see it in the Apple TV.

ATV 2, new iOS 5.0, still no NHL Gamecenter in my country

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.