Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inconsistent behavior of front-right LED; can't determine sleep mode

The LED on the front of my MacBook Pro (17", purchased January '12, fully patched) exhibits some inconsistent behavior, and it's kind of driving me crazy.

When I invoke sleep mode on my MacBook Pro while isn't plugged into an external monitor, it goes to sleep and the LED slowly pulses until I wake it up (power button, keyboard, or closing and opening the lid). All good.

However, when it IS plugged into an external monitor, something strange happens. It appears to go to sleep, but the LED stays on solid when I close the lid... UNTIL I open the lid. Then it immediately pulses once before waking up from sleep mode and presenting me with a login prompt.

This is a problem because I can't tell whether the machine has actually gone to sleep, and I don't want to carry it around and jostle it if it's still running.

Thoughts?

MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011), iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 2:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 3:17 PM

When the sleep light remains on steadily, it signifies that the display is asleep (blank and dark) but the computer is still running. Don't transport it in that state — make sure it's really asleep before you move it around.

3 replies

Mar 8, 2012 3:46 PM in response to eww

Thank you - I figured that was the case.

But there's still some weirdness here, then. It seems that when I invoke Sleep Mode while the lid is closed (and my MBP is connected to an external monitor), it gets stuck somewhere in the sleep process - until the very moment that I open the lid. Then it enters Sleep Mode and immediately wakes up (because I just opened the lid!)

I should note that this is actually the *second* MacBook Pro, of this type (late-2011, 17"), for which I've experienced this behavior. My current MBP is a replacement for one that I purchased in October but that was stolen in January. It exhibited the same behavior.

Anyone else experiencing similar weirdness?

Feb 5, 2014 9:16 AM in response to DavidStein

I have the same problem with my MacBook pro 17-inch, Late 2011. It takes a LONG time to go into sleep mode (at least 10 min). I have used numerous other macbook where it doesn't take this long. The computer previously belonged to my boss and he always had this problem.

I belive it's not a misindication fo the led light becasue he used to give up and take it with him and eventually the harddrive crashed.

Is this a common issue? Are there any settings that would help?

Inconsistent behavior of front-right LED; can't determine sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.