Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 (AT&T) and new iPad LTE

I am planning on getting the new iPad. However I am considering the iPad for Verizon because they're letting you create a hotspot.

My BIG question is can I switch to AT&T in areas where Verizon doesn't have coverage?

I am not expecting it to work with AT&T 4G LTE. I'd be happy with 3G/3G+ in those areas.

My existing AT&T sim is a grandfathered AT&T iPad SIM (with unlimited data)

I also have a Verizon account with Unlimited data. I just need to add their SIM and I should be good.

Let me know if this plan would work.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 1:39 PM

iOS Software Engineer wrote:

My BIG question is can I switch to AT&T in areas where Verizon doesn't have coverage?

I am not expecting it to work with AT&T 4G LTE. I'd be happy with 3G/3G+ in those areas.

No.

AT&T or Verizon.

If you decide on an iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G, be sure to select the model that corresponds with the carrier you’d like to use for 4G LTE service. The iPad model you purchase is specially configured to work with either AT&T or Verizon — not both. So while you don’t have to activate service right away, you should choose your iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G according to the carrier you prefer.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2012 1:39 PM in response to iOS Software Engineer

iOS Software Engineer wrote:

No.

AT&T or Verizon.

If you decide on an iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G, be sure to select the model that corresponds with the carrier you’d like to use for 4G LTE service. The iPad model you purchase is specially configured to work with either AT&T or Verizon — not both. So while you don’t have to activate service right away, you should choose your iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G according to the carrier you prefer.

Mar 8, 2012 7:37 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Forgive my bluntness but I believe part of the question was unanswered. The inquirer was not asking about using a Verizon LTE iPad on AT&T's LTE network. The question was whether the Verizon LTE iPad would be able to connect to AT&T's 3G network by simply swapping out the sim card. Since even the Verizon LTE iPad is considered to be a World 3G iPad and able to connect to the same "3G" networks as the AT&T version, it should be possible unless there was a specific restriction.

Mar 9, 2012 4:35 AM in response to conitor

conitor wrote:

Forgive my bluntness but I believe part of the question was unanswered. The inquirer was not asking about using a Verizon LTE iPad on AT&T's LTE network. The question was whether the Verizon LTE iPad would be able to connect to AT&T's 3G network by simply swapping out the sim card. Since even the Verizon LTE iPad is considered to be a World 3G iPad and able to connect to the same "3G" networks as the AT&T version, it should be possible unless there was a specific restriction.

Apparently, you missed the word, "No" which was the first word of my answer. But, to clarify, no, you can't use a AT&T iPad (new version) on Verizon or vice versa. If you further read the information I copied and pasted from Apple's info: The iPad model you purchase is specially configured to work with either AT&T or Verizon — not both. There are specific restrictions.

I hope that was more clear.

Best of luck.

Mar 9, 2012 7:59 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg St._Clair wrote:

conitor wrote:

Apparently, you missed the word, "No" which was the first word of my answer. But, to clarify, no, you can't use a AT&T iPad (new version) on Verizon or vice versa. If you further read the information I copied and pasted from Apple's info: The iPad model you purchase is specially configured to work with either AT&T or Verizon — not both. There are specific restrictions.

I hope that was more clear.

Best of luck.

Let's look at that in context again:

AT&T or Verizon.

The statement refers to 4G LTE service being configured to work with either AT&T or Verizon, and not both. Here is the reason:

AT&T runs two LTE networks in the USA, one in the 2.1GHz block generally used for 3G networking, and the other in what's known as "Class 17, 700MHz". The latter refers to the bands AT&T bought at auction in 2008 which vary across the USA, but run in non-contiguous slots between 704MHz and 787MHz.

Verizon, meanwhile, runs a single LTE network in what's known as "Class 13, 700MHz", between 746MHz and 787MHz.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/08/ipad_4g

So the new iPad is configured for one of either 4G LTE network, but Apple's web site does not explain whether the iPad is configured for carrier specific 3G bands. From what they listed, one could assume that the Verizon iPad could run on the other carriers GSM bands, just as the iPad 2 could run on T-Mobile's EDGE network.

Since this would require an APN change, I doubt you will hear from an Apple, AT&T, or Verizon Rep on whether this is possible. I think this will come down to the users themselves testing it out after the product is launched.

But if anyone can find definitive evidence, I would love to see it.

Mar 9, 2012 10:46 AM in response to Rolo_DivA

Rolo_DivA wrote:

anthrovisual,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Verizon doesn't run GSM bands for their (3G) network...it's CDMA. In which case, the answer is still "No".

If the Verizon iPad is unlocked and has the following band capabilities, why can it not work on AT&T's 3G or even EDGE network?

Wi-Fi + 4G for Verizon model: LTE (700 MHz)3; CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz); UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs

Message was edited by: anthrovisual

Mar 9, 2012 11:19 AM in response to anthrovisual

That's a great question. Considering that Apple had the incorrect data plans posted on Weds during the initial pre-order (later corrected that night) I am doubting information they have regarding the two carriers, lol.

However, I did try asking a VZW chat rep, who was basically useless:

Camden: Hello xxxx. How can I assist you today?

You: Hi, I want to purchase a new iPad on 3/16 and would like to know if I get the VZW version will it work on AT&T's 3G (not their LTE) network? Apple's website has GSM bands listed for the Verizon New iPad model

Camden:At this time we do not have any information regarding that option. If you buy an IPAD with us, it works on the wireless networks as well.

You: I'm sorry...whose "wireless networks"? JUST Verizon?

Camden:Wireless networks throughout the country.

You: Regardless of carrier?

Camden: Customer service would be able to better assist you with more information. Their number is 1800-922-0204, their hours are 6am-11pm local time zone.

You: okay. Thanks

Camden: That is correct. However with Verizon, the IPAD will be on the 4G network, not with AT&T.

Camden: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

If you (or anyone else) can make since of this "Yes/No" answer, please share the insight. I'm not sure if I'm going to go as far as actually contacting VZW Customer Care about this or not as I was thinking about exchanging my AT&T model for a VZW due to the hotspot thing. The VZW model would need a SIM slot in order for this to work; since I haven't seen the Verizon model up close I have no way of knowing whether the device could be used as a "world" tablet or not (like a world phone).

Mar 9, 2012 12:04 PM in response to anthrovisual

I completely agree with you, I do not think any of the answers have *clearly* indicated that it is or is not possible to use an AT&T SIM card in a Verizon version iPad to access AT&T's GSM (NOT LTE) network. It doesn't seem an unreasonable assumption that this would work considering that Apple explicitly stated that ALL iPads could be used world-wide on GSM networks.

So, as you stated, unless Apple has expressly prohibited this using some software limitations that identify AT&T, US version SIM cards, this should be possible.

iPad 2 (AT&T) and new iPad LTE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.