Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wallstreet disk format & system reinstall

I've spent a bit of money and time on RAM and HD to be able to upgrade this Wallstreet to OS X.

I think I read some advice wrong, and when I first installed the upgrade 12 GB HD I mistakenly formatted the drive into two partitions - the smaller one being the one for the system software. When trying to install OS X (10.2) the dialog told me that I couldn't install the software on either partition, as the first partition had to be the larger one.

What I'd like to do is start over and reinitialize the drive. Should I have two partitions - the first one larger (say 8 GB) or should I just have one partition for both OS 9 and OS X? I believe I need to have 9 on there first anyway in order to install OS X.

But a further problem is that I can't seem to do an erase and reformat/initialize of the HD, as I get the message that I can't erase my start up disk. I have tried installing the OS 9 CD with the C key held down, but this is where I run into this problem. Disk Utility won't let me reinitalize. Again, what I really need is the start up partition to be larger to accomodate OS X.

Thanks for answers,

k

Wallstreet 233 Mhz processor model with 512 MB RAM (two 256MB Modules) and 12 GB Travelstar HD.

OS 9.0

CD Drive

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 2:55 PM

There are no replies.

Wallstreet disk format & system reinstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.