Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iChat always makes me enter an AOL password. I DON"T USE AOL. Please help

When ever I try to make my iChat status to available a box pops up with the heading AOL Instant Messenger password and under it it says iChat can’t log in to (my account) because your login ID or password is incorrect. My iChat password is only 7 characters. This is really frustrating. I don't have an AOL account and my iChat is under mac.com. PLEASE HELP

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), My iChat version is 6.0.1

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 2:13 PM

3 replies

Mar 8, 2012 2:20 PM in response to j_o_n_a_h

Hi,

Your @mac.com name is a Valid AIM Screen Name and as such Logs in to the AIM servers so any messages you get from there about your Name are Valid in that sense.

I take it that in iChat Preferences > General Section you have selected NOT to make iChat Login as Available straight away.

(Certainly in iChat 5 the top option to Display the Status in the Menu bar (Menu Bar icon) has two sub items.

One for Logging Off Line on QUit (fully logging out) and Chaing the Status to Available on Launch - I am using Messages and this bit has changed for certain. )

I also take it you are using the Menu Bar icon Drop down to then Change the Status to Available and Log in ?

If this is the case do you have a Password (Stars) showing in iChat Menu > Preferences > Accounts > Account info tab for your @mac.com account ?

User uploaded file
10:20 PM Thursday; March 8, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Mar 8, 2012 2:29 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi Ralph,

My defult sign is to offline and I am using the menu bar icon drop down to change my status to available. And yes I do have a password showing in iChat Menu>Prefrences>Accounts>Account info tab. I don't know if this would help in any way but I did delete my old iChat because it didn't show me as being available to my online buddy's. Also beside were it says that I'm offline there is a squigly line (kind of resembles a side ways lighting bolt) and when I press it it says "iChat lost the connection to the Mac.com account “me.com”" and "Cannot log in to AIM. Your screen name must be at least 2 characters long, and the password must contain between 4 and 16 characters. Check your Accounts settings in iChat preferences."

Mar 8, 2012 2:43 PM in response to j_o_n_a_h

HI,

If in iChat > Preferences > General Section you elect to have all the Buddy List gathered in one list

then they can look like this. (It is Default to Collect them in one list)

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

As you can see my GoogleTalk ID has dropped out (Not a Status setting by me to Off Line or anything else)

It has the Sharply pointed Tilde like Symbol ~

Clicking that symbol confirm it is Off Line and that I should wait a few minutes and try again.

As you have a different Message it would seem that iChat is not accessing the KeyChain Properly.

Open Keychain Access in Application/Utilities

Highlight Login in the top left area if needed.

Highlight Passwords in lower left in needed.

Find the @mac.com name in th eright hand panel

Highlight and then use the i Button

In the new Panel, tick the Show Password Box

(enter your Password for your Login and Allow Once Button)

Does the Password now Show Up ?

Is it what you think it is ?

Edit if required and Save.

We may need to check if you have Ownership and Read and Write permissions on the Keychain if that does not help.

It is late where I am and it will be a while before I get back to further replies.

User uploaded file
10:43 PM Thursday; March 8, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

iChat always makes me enter an AOL password. I DON"T USE AOL. Please help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.