Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud won't sync notes anymore

iCloud won't sync my notes between iPhone, iPad and Mac anymore. It stopped working out of nowhere. Is this happening to anyone else?

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 7:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2017 2:38 PM

I am having the exact same issue, I've tried all the fixes suggested and double and triple checked that I am using iCloud on all accounts and still no use, notes doesn't sync to icloud. This is quite frustrating, as I use this app ALL THE TIME, AND ACROSS ALL MY DEVICES. Apple needs to take a serious look at this issue and FIX IT with the next update!

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2017 2:38 PM in response to Patezaun

I am having the exact same issue, I've tried all the fixes suggested and double and triple checked that I am using iCloud on all accounts and still no use, notes doesn't sync to icloud. This is quite frustrating, as I use this app ALL THE TIME, AND ACROSS ALL MY DEVICES. Apple needs to take a serious look at this issue and FIX IT with the next update!

Feb 2, 2017 10:40 AM in response to kaegenes

Which devices are not syncing? I have 4 items in my Apple ecosystem that I use notes on daily. All 4 are on the Beta OS program and the only syncing issue I am experiencing is with my iPad2 Version 9.3.5. Notes initiated on my iPad are not syncing with the other devices and vice versa. This issue started last month after January 10th, 2017.

Feb 23, 2017 1:41 PM in response to kaegenes

I have the SAME issue. Notes app syncs on iphone6 and iPad and ALWAYS synced seamlessly to Mac, running 10.10.5.

Mac does NOT update whenever Notes are added, edited or deleted on mobile devices. Checked acct at iCloud.com and it is syncing successfully. The problem seems to be isolated to the Mac.

I too, use this feature across all devices.

😟

Mar 24, 2012 4:07 PM in response to Patezaun

First check that all your settings are correct, that notes syncing (mail and notes on a computer) is checked on all devices (system preferences > iCloud on a mac and settings > iCloud on a iPhone, iPad or iPod).

Make sure the notes you are adding are added to your 'iCloud' account and not an 'On My Mac', 'On My Phone' or other non iCloud account (you can do this by checking in accounts on an iOS device, or the left side panel in mail on a computer), non iCloud notes will not sync.

If you are sure that everything is set up correctly and your notes are in the iCloud group, you might try unchecking notes syncing (mail and notes on a computer) in the iCloud settings, restarting your device and then re-enabling notes syncing.

Jul 28, 2012 12:09 PM in response to ralphfromworcester

Found an answer. I don't know if it's the only answer. I had to go into each note I had created on my iphone and Select All>Copy. Then go to icloud account in Notes on iphone, add a new note then Paste iphone info into the icloud note. The pasted notes now appear on my iphone (under icloud account) and on my imac. From the iphone, new Notes will appear on my mac only if created in the icloud account and vice versa.

This saved a lot of typing. I stored my current medications list and significant medical history data in Notes. I have a notation under Primary Care Physician Contact to seek info in the Note file, in case of emergency.

Aug 10, 2012 10:12 AM in response to ralphfromworcester

My "pre iCloud" Notes are on my "iPhone" account or "iPad" account and those do not have an option to "Copy" - only 'Email' or 'Print'.

So I'm still trying to figure out the following:

So Notes created on all of my devices under the "Notes/iCloud account" sync just fine. But how do I get Notes created on my iPad or iPhone accounts moved to my iCloud account without copy/pasting all of them?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Aug 3, 2016 7:39 AM in response to Patezaun

I had the same problem - Notes stopped syncing to my iPhone (worked with other devices, and on the web). Another weird symptom was that Notes started draining my mobile data plan (2GB only for Notes), and took all of my iPhone storage (also, GBs), only when turning on Notes iCloud sync feature.

After trying for WEEKS (!!!), what finally solved it was creating a back of my notes (for example, copying them to an "On My Mac" notes account on one of my Macs, then going into Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > iCloud | Manage Storage > Documents & Data | Notes > Edit | Delete All.

It will delete all of your notes from iCloud. Afterwards you can copy your notes back and they'll sync again!

Good luck!

Sep 3, 2016 8:42 PM in response to Patezaun

2016 Solution:

I had this same problem with my iPhone SE, but it turns out the problem is because I have had various iPhones since before iCloud existed, which makes syncing slightly more difficult.

The solution was surprisingly easy (after spending 15 minutes reading the forums and tinkering). You have to go into your iPhone settings:

• in Settings --> iCloud, make sure Notes is turned on.

• In Settings --> Notes, turn on "On my iPhone" Account.

• Then go into Notes and you should now see several folders: I had one for "Gmail," which was apparently where I'd been saving my notes, and one for "On My iPhone", and now one for "iCloud".

• Within whatever folder all your notes exist, go in and tap "Edit", then "Move All", then choose "iCloud".

• Voilá, problem solved!

iCloud won't sync notes anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.