Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Radeon HD 5770 or 5870 in Mac Pro 1,1

I am currently running a Mac Pro 1,1 on a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT and am severely unimpressed with the graphics performance. I am looking to upgrade to a ATI Radeon HD 5770, 5870, or even maybe dual 5770's. I know the 5770 is compatible with the 1st gen mac pro, but I'm not sure about the 5870. Looking around, I'm seeing lots of people saying it is compatible, and others saying its not. If I'm running lion on a mac pro 1,1 will a ATI Radeon 5870 work?

Additionally I was wondering how dual 5770's work... Is there a crossfire sort of cable thing between them, do you just plug two of them in, will two 5770's even work in the Mac Pro 1,1?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 1,1

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 8:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 8:08 PM

They are both compatible. However, that MP model only has PCIe 1.0 slots so the 5870 won't provide much if any improvement over the 5770. The 5770 performs just about the same as a 4870 in that model. It's all slot limited.

13 replies

Mar 8, 2012 8:13 PM in response to akwandaltw

You are limited by the bandwidth of your PCIe 1 Bus. The extra performance of the 5870 over the 5770 would be wasted.

Be sure the card you buy has Apple firmware. PC-only cards will not show a picture under Mac OS X, and flashed PC cards will not show a picture until Mac OS X isfully operational, so they are useless for debugging.

No crossfire under Mac OS X. Don't bother with multiple cards unless you are running more than the three displays supported by the 5770.

Drivers are in 10.6.4 and later.

Mar 10, 2012 9:14 AM in response to xonox

Today, A PC card flashed with Mac Firmware will only produce a picture after Mac OS X is fully loaded and operational. That is fine, provided when you want to change boot drives, or do maintenance, or re-Install something, or Debug a problem, you can live with nothing on your display. Most Users can not.

Cards released by Apple and fully supported by current versions of Mac OS X were built with EFI firmware ROMs.

"Hacker" sites try all sorts of currently unsupported-by-Apple stuff. Some of it works great. But those sites are not going to provide support for you when things go bad. If you need your Mac to be reliable for doing productive things, stick with what Apple supports TODAY, unless you can provide your own support.

In a few months, the situation may be different. Or maybe not.

Mar 10, 2012 9:23 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I agree with you. But it seems some NVidia graphics cards currently work with nothing else than the new drivers, no need to hack the card. Which could be acceptable to some people. I'd still suggest keeping the original card, in case a boot-up diagnostic is required.

Indeed, it is not supported by Apple. I fully agree with you that this might not be a good idea for someone depending on their Mac Pro for work.

Btw, i see you post tons of great advice on these boards, thank you!

Mar 10, 2012 9:59 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant,

FWIW, flashed PC cards do not display at startup if connected using a DVI cable, but will if you use VGA. If you happen to have a monitor that can hot-switch between DVI and VGA you can actually boot with the monitor set for VGA then switch to DVI after startup by simply running both DVI and VGA cables from the card to the monitor's ports.

As it happens to be I have one of the flashed 5770 cards in my Mac Pro. Just thought you might find this interesting.

Radeon HD 5770 or 5870 in Mac Pro 1,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.