Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought my mac 4 months ago. Safari doesn't run anymore... The rainbow circle never stops and I cant remove safari from my computer to reinstall it...

I bought my mac 4 months ago. Safari doesn't run anymore... The rainbow circle never stops and I cant remove safari from my computer to reinstall it...

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 2:44 AM

5 replies

Mar 9, 2012 3:04 AM in response to pierrefromrouen

HI Pierre ...

Several things to try ...

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Empty Cache. Quit then relaunch Safari to test.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari / Reset Safari. Select the top 7 buttons then click Reset. Try Safari.

Check Safari / Preferences - Extensions. If you have any installed, turn that off, quit, relaunch Safari.

Quit Safari. Open a Finder window select your Home folder in the Sidebar on the left. Then open the Library folder, then the Caches folder, then the com.apple.Safari folder. Move the cache.db file from the com.apple.Safari folder to the Trash. Relaunch Safari.

From your Safari menu bar click Safari / Preferences then select the Security tab. Deselect: Enable plug ins Quit then relaunch Safari. If Safari speeds up loading pages, follow the troubleshooting help here. Unsupported third-party add-ons may cause Safari to unexpectedly quit or have performance issues

By the way... since you are running Lion v10.7.3, in order to reinstall apps such as Safari, you need to use Lion Recovery

edited by: cs

Mar 9, 2012 3:40 AM in response to pierrefromrouen

Pierre ...

There's something you can try before Lion Recovery.

Booting in Safe Mode deletes some system caches that may help.

Instructions here > Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

It can a little longer to boot in Safe Mode then a normal boot so be patient.

Once you see the Desktop click the Apple menu icon top left corner of your screen. From the drop down menu click Restart.

Try Safari ..

If that didn't help, then use Lion Recovery...

edited by: cs

Mar 9, 2012 4:15 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Ok, I've just tried it. And Safari works on safe mode, but still not when I'm back on regular mode... I've had the same problem with imovie a few weeks ago, and the way you've just described did work.

I dont know it doesn't work this time...

I'm gonna try lion recovery, but in that case, do I have to reinstall everything on my computer ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.