Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBooks 2.1 and digital/print page numbers

The iTunes store says of the upgrade to iBooks 2.1 that it can show page numbers that correspond to the printed edition of select titles.

I've searched about but can find no detail on if or whether this applies to.ibooks format or more generically to .epub format.

Any ideas?

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 3:20 AM

6 replies

Mar 11, 2012 3:10 AM in response to Fabe

Actually, Fabe, I expect it woulve be very useful to have page numbers that relate to definitive editions of Moby Dick and such. Apple did a great job updating or releasing so many products last week (I'm blown away by iPhoto on the iPad). Now if only they'd get on with documenting them properly!

Mar 11, 2012 3:21 AM in response to K T

k T,

I'm not familiar with iTunes Producer but it appears that Print Length is only a single value; can't see how that would support what I imagine is a scheme for correlating given points in the text stream with physical book pages. We await the documentation.

Best,

John

Mar 12, 2012 10:05 AM in response to Fabe

I'm guessing you're correct, though there is a method of correllating physical page numbers with documents in epub. I'm hoping this isn't a fixed length only thing or an iBooks Author only thing. For legal or educational books, having the ability to reference a specific page that's the same as it is in print is very important. As a matter of fact legal citations often reference page numbers.

So far Apple is doing a good job of providing a book reader that does more than novels, I hope the addition of page numbers is one of them. Note I have tried the epub method, but I can't get it to work, so I'm not sure if I'm messing up with the coding or if this isn't supported.

iBooks 2.1 and digital/print page numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.