4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2012 9:55 AM by Layne
Layne Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Several days ago I transferred all photos/videos from iPhoto to an external hard drive.  I deleted everything in iPhoto, emptied the iPhoto trash. 

However, when I attempt to store a photo in the "empty" iPhoto, this message comes up:

"The disk containing your iPhoto library is running low on space."

I've explored the issue via Google and the Apple communities, and the only possible factor could have been that there were photos stored in my iPhone cache.  Tracked it down, but nope - it is empty.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (131,590 points)

I deleted everything in iPhoto, emptied the iPhoto trash.

How many items? Deleting thousands of items (or even hundreds) at one go will frequently corrupt the database.

As this is now an empty Library trash it and create a new one:

Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Create Library'

Regards

TD

• Layne Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Terence - Thank you for responding.

I created a new Library per your instructions above.  Unfortunately, I then tried importing a few photos to the new Library (iPhoto Library 2) to test it out, and the same message still appears.

I went back to your message, and saw you said to trash the old Library.  I'm assuming that was a separate action, which I failed to follow.  The only iPhoto icon I can find on my hard drive is the app, and I'm afraid to delete that.  I must be doing something wrong...

(PS: As a corollary, I have only 1.61GB  (out of 157.9 GB) left on my hard drive.  This is why I moved all my photos, as well as all videos, movies, audio books, etc, to the EHD.  This should surely have freed up a lot of space.  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, as well.)

Thanks again.

• Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (131,590 points)

Whoa

Big Problem:

As a corollary, I have only 1.61GB  (out of 157.9 GB) left on my hard drive.

OS X needs about 10 gigs of hard drive space for normal OS operations - things like virtual memory, temporary files and so on. Without this space your Mac will slow down as the OS hunts for space on the disk, files will be fragmented, also slowing things down, apps will crash and the risk of data corruption - that is damage to your files, photos, music - increases exponentially. Your first priority is to make more space on that HD. Nothing else can be done until you do.

The iPhoto Library will be in your Pictures Folder. Drag that to the trash and empty it.

Do not try add anything extra to that disk until you have made a lot more space on it

Regards

TD

• Layne Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Without this space your Mac will slow down as the OS hunts for space on the disk, files will be fragmented, also slowing things down, apps will crash

These are *exactly* the issues I was having, and which prompted me to move files over to an EHD.  Watching the little colored wheel spin was agonizing...

The iPhoto Library will be in your Pictures Folder. Drag that to the trash and empty it.

Found it!  Mac is now in the process of deleting 4,182 photos.

You've been very helpful - I've learned things that will help me down the road.

Many, many thanks.

Message was edited by: Layne  Oooops... Went to click "This solved my problem" under your post and it landed up in mine...  Any tips on how to remove it?  "Edit" doesn't seem to help.

**NOTE TO READERS** If anyone refers to this discussion for assistance, please note that it was Terence Devlin who solved my problem (not me!).  Kudos to Terence.

Message was edited by: Layne