Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After repairing permissions, do I need to "verify"?

Hi folks,

I'm trying to get iDVD working; I keep getting a multiplexing error and the disk ejects when I try to burn a DVD. It was suggested I repair permissions, which I did. However, I was then presented with an option to "verify" the repairs to permissions. Is this a necessary step in repairing permissions?

Thanks very much.

FYI: When I repaired permissions the first time, I didn't verify and iDVD still won't burn a DVD. I'm just wondering if "verifying" would help.

Thanks again,

Vic

MacBook Pro, Final Cut Express

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 8:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 9:26 AM

No. Verifying simply examines and reports. Repairing does the actual repair.

So we must seek other reasons for your iDVD problem. Which version is it, and what version of OS X are you running?

This older article has some useful information:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1583

but the most common cause is insuffient free space on your hard drive.

Message was edited by: Klaus1

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2012 9:26 AM in response to Vixter101

No. Verifying simply examines and reports. Repairing does the actual repair.

So we must seek other reasons for your iDVD problem. Which version is it, and what version of OS X are you running?

This older article has some useful information:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1583

but the most common cause is insuffient free space on your hard drive.

Message was edited by: Klaus1

Mar 9, 2012 10:13 AM in response to Klaus1

Hi Klaus,

Thank you for your help. I read the article, and it does provide some tips. One thing that confuses me is the suggestion to create another user account. How does the particular user account affect burning a DVD?

In any case, I'm the only one that uses the computer, and I don't "log in" or even use a password. So, I'm not sure if it will help (though, I'll certainly give it a go).

I'm using iDVD '08 and my OS is 10.5.8

Also, I did read about the need for plenty of hard drive space; there was already about 40 GB of free space, but I removed some old files this morning and now I have about 90 GB of free space. I've tried to burn a DVD just now, and still the same thing happens.

I can't remember the exact moment when the problem occurs, but it's the step right after Multiplexing and Burning (I think it was during something called "Creating Lead-in" or something like that??? If it's vital to know, I'll run another job and pay closer attention). Anyways, what happens is, the disk is ejected and the black & yellow 'beachball' spins endlessly, with the message "One minute remaining". The ejected disk has nothing on it at all.

I'm using Fuji disks, which I've burned to before without any problems. Though, I'll probably pick up some Verbatim disks to try.

I also created a disk image and tried to burn using Disk Utility. Still no luck: It stops, ejects the disk, and says something that includes the words, "...media error".

I've tried various types of projects and approaches. In troubleshooting the problem, I'm keeping the movie real simple. In fact, I'm even using a short, stand-alone .mov file (exported from FCE4).

One more piece of info that might be key is the fact that I just had a brand new motherboard installed in my computer (MacBook Pro). It was professionally installed by an authorized Apple dealer.

Is there a sure-fire way for me to check whether there's a problem with my Superdrive?

I guess, perhaps, the easiest thing to do first is to see if a Verbatim disk works any better (I've heard they are good). Though, as I've said, I've used these Fuji disks (right from the very same stack) previously and didn't have any problems.

Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and one more thing: I followed someone else's advice and deleted a "p-list" file of some sort from the Library (???) ... this didn't help either.

Thanks Klaus.

Vic

Mar 9, 2012 10:30 AM in response to Vixter101

How does the particular user account affect burning a DVD?

That suggestion is to check whether there is an error on a particular user account. If it doesn't show up in another account, there is.

now I have about 90 GB of free space

Then we can rule that out!

I'm using Fuji disks, which I've burned to before without any problems

Yep, they are usually trouble free.

I'm even using a short, stand-alone .mov file (exported from FCE4)

That could be a hint. Is it in widescreen?

iDVD: DV widescreen 16:9 workflow from Final Cut Pro

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2179?viewlocale=en_US

Final Cut Express: DV widescreen 16:9 workflow for iDVD at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1611

and

Preparing your Final Cut Express or Final Cut Pro movie to work with iDVD at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=iDVD/7.0/en/6652.html

Is there a sure-fire way for me to check whether there's a problem with my Superdrive?

You could trry cleaning it using a standard CD/DVD lens cleaner using tiny brushes. Or try burning something else (a different project perhaps) to see if that works.

I think it was during something called "Creating Lead-in" or something like that? and says something that includes the words, "...media error"

We may be getting warmer. Could be dud DVD. Try another.

Post back with results!

Mar 9, 2012 11:39 AM in response to Vixter101

How does the particular user account affect burning a DVD?

Often there will be a conflict between the iDVD (read any application) and a preference file other than iDVD's file that can cause the problem. My first suggestion is to delete the iDVD preference file which is Troubleshooting 101. It that does not help then I suggest, like Klaus1, logging into another user account that's been created just for troubleshooting. It will have no add-ons, etc. so should be a pristine account.

If the problem goes away in the other account then we know the original account is the culprit. There are ways to check the original account's preference folder for other damaged or incompatible preference files if the need arises.

Having a non admin account for troubleshooting is a very good strategy.

OT

Mar 9, 2012 2:03 PM in response to Klaus1

Well, guys (both of you), thanks very much for your suggestions. Honestly, I'm sooo technically challenged! Anyways, I just burned a DVD and it worked perfectly. I figured I'd rule out the simplest factor first: I purchased a stack of Verbatim DVDs... and Voila! It worked.

I don't understand it for the life of me. I've burned DVDs from that very stack, which I purchased in a quantity of, like, 100 or something, so as to save money. So much for that strategy.

I've tried burning about six or seven individual DVDs from the old stack (even tried a couple from deep down in the middle of the stack, just in case there were a few 'duds' together at the top), but none of them worked.

So now I guess I'm stuck with a bunch of brand new coasters.

Any ideas why the Fuji disks would work 6 - 8 months ago and now they won't? Do they have a shelf life?

Anyways, I hope I'm not being overly optimistic... I've only burned ONE from the new Verbatim stack. I hope I don't start seeing the same problem with the new disks!

Is it possible that some of the things you've suggested for me to try could actually make the old disks work?

Just wondering...

Would love to hear your thoughts on the whole issue.

Thank you again.

Vic

Mar 9, 2012 2:25 PM in response to Vixter101

Yes, they do have a shelf life (once they have been burned). Even some Verbatim DVDs I made 5-6 years ago have on occasion have to be re-burned. (I keep all home-made DVD projects as disk images on an external hard drive for that purpose.)

One way round this is to use the slightly more expensive Verbatim Gold Archival DVDs:

http://www.verbatim.com/subcat/optical-media/dvd/archival-grade-gold-dvd-r/

which are said (by Verbatim!) to last 100 years. Difficult to put to the test, but I have never had to re-burn one.

It all comes down to the coating dies. Commercial DVDs are pressed aluminium disks and will last. Home-made DVDs are made by 'etching' a coating using a laser beam.

After repairing permissions, do I need to "verify"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.