Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Journal Share via iTunes results in index.json

I love the new Journal feature! But I don't understand what you can do with a Journal which you can export via iTunes to local files. It basicly results in a Public folder, with an index.json file and all the photos in 4 different resolutions.

On the help page, I can read this:

Share your journal as a webpage

You can also export your journal to iTunes as a folder of files, which you can post on your own webserver.

I would at least expect an HTML file + photos, in order to view the journal in a webbrowser, just like when you export to iCloud.

How can the index.json be parsed, so I can use in on my webserver? Or am I simply missing files atm?

iPhoto for iOS-OTHER, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 9:58 AM

17 replies

Mar 15, 2012 9:55 AM in response to peter976

I got an answer from CNet member Jason Cipriani

"You need a way to be able to upload the entire contents of the Public folder that is saved when you export to iTunes. For me, I upload the files via FTP to a site I have hosted."

Because I do not host my own blog, I use blogger, I do not have teh FTP upload ability.

Mar 15, 2012 10:26 AM in response to lcohn

Uploading via FTP is not the issue, the issue is that a browser or Apache server don't understand the index.json file. The index.json file only contains references, zoom/crop/positioning info, which are ready to be interpreted by JavaScript for example. Unfortunately, the export doesn't provide any HTML/CSS/JS/layout images, which makes the export rather useless for most people.

I was hoping that I could export the Journal in all it's glory, so I could host the entire presentation myself (and especially offline at a family gathering for example), instead of having to rely on iCloud / internet access.

Mar 15, 2012 11:50 AM in response to Cristofer Cruz

I've tried exporting several times, created even new journals with just 1 or a few images in it, but the export always results in a Public folder with just one index.json file + the pictures. No index.html file or static folder to be discovered here.

I guess it's a bug. I'm using iPhoto on iPhone 4S fyi, can't test on the iPad1 unfortunately.

Mar 15, 2012 4:25 PM in response to Thijs Bors

This could be a bug that you and Peter are experiencing, this is a first version and I expect an update will come soon to fix any launch version issues. You definately cannot do anything without the html file so I would wait until the next update to publish Journals on your own server. In the meantime, you can share Journals directly to iCloud.

If you have not done much in your iPhoto library yet, you could try to remove the iPhoto app and redownload it. KEEP IN MIND this will remove your iPhoto library, Journals, etc so only do this if you are willing to lose your progress so far.

Mar 18, 2012 10:20 AM in response to peter976

Hi all,

I got it work! When I tried before, I have exported the journal on the iPad not connected to iTunes. Today I have connected the iPad to iTunes, in the APPs tab I scrolled down to the File section and selected iPhoto. Then I exported the journal on the iPad. In iTunes I have saved the files to disc and there it is: A Public directory with an index.html and subdirectory "static".

If you want to do this with a journal which you have already exported you will find that it is not possible to delete the files in iTunes. Solution: Rename the journal in iTunes and then do the export.

I have not reloaded the App from the App store!

Hope this will work for all of you.

Journal Share via iTunes results in index.json

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.