Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How many GB of photos can iPad handle?

I do not own an iPad but will be buying the new one this week. My primary purpose is to sync very large Aperture libraries onto the iPad so I can have the images for reference. I am wondering if anyone has tried to sync a lot of photos, like 50 GB worth, onto the iPad? My Aperture libraries are over 100 GB but I know they will be "optimized" for the iPad and reduced in size to some degree. I have seen on the forums that some people think there are limits as to how many individual photos the iPad photo app can handle. If this is the case, and the iPad can only handle about 16 GB of photos, then there would be no need for me to get the 64 GB iPad. Any help in this area would be appreciated, thank you.

Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 10:18 AM

7 replies

Mar 9, 2012 10:43 AM in response to frmoses

It is my understanding that irrespective of the size of the iPad the max capacity of photos, as you say, is 16Gb (obviously a little lower if it is the 16 gb model).

I don't know if the introduction of iPhoto to the iPad will make any difference but there are numerous posts highlighting difficulties in trying to sync large numbers of photos so be careful in your expectation! A good photo frame would be a lot cheaper and may be an suitable alternative.

Mar 9, 2012 11:20 AM in response to frmoses

Russ, that's what I would have thought too, but I have heard complaints that there seems to be a photo limit. I am hoping someone out there with a 64GB iPad and large Aperture libraries can let me know if they have synced a huge quantity of photos.

Alan, we have considered photo frames and currently use a MacBook Pro for the same purpose. We are artists painting on walls, high up on scaffolding with limited space, and so the tablet form factor is great. We will also use other iPad specific aspects of the device so the photo frame idea is out of the question anymore.

Anyone with a big iPad 2 and a ton of photos out there that can tell me their experience from actual use?

Mar 9, 2012 5:04 PM in response to frmoses

frmoses wrote:

Russ, that's what I would have thought too, but I have heard complaints that there seems to be a photo limit.

From what you're hearing, is it the number of photos, or the size of individual photos that is this supposed limitation? In your application, would you have tens of thousands of pictures, or a few hundred at enormous file size?

I can't see either being an issue from a storage standpoint since a 64 GB iPad can be loaded with thousands of songs at lower bitrates, or fewer songs but in ALAC format (which are very large files, bigger than any individual photo needs to be on the iPad).

The only possible limitation might be the Photo app itself, in terms of how many individual photos it can keep track of for navigating. But even from a practical standpoint, would you really be able to navigate effectively through anything >100K pictures?

Mar 9, 2012 9:32 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

There are some threads on these forums where people talk about limits of 16GB of photos. It appears that it is probably linked to RAM and thumbnail handling. It also appears these posts are 1-2 years old, so maybe the newer iPads do not have the same issue as they have more RAM.

We will have tens of thousands of photos on the iPad, not massive photos. We have Aperture libraries full of reference material for our artwork that number in the 40,000 photos range. We don't need all of them on the iPad, but the more the merrier and less trips down the scaffolding to sync with a MacBook.

I think we will be buying the 64 GB one, because even if there are limits on the amount that can be synced, it is still a lot of photos, and it does not appear to be an issue with people unloading their cameras with the camera connection kit, and this is a feature we might use as well while traveling.

I would still love to just hear from someone who has a huge Aperture library and has tried to fill up their 32 or 64GB iPad with photos from it. There must be others out there who are doing this.

How many GB of photos can iPad handle?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.