Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"You do not have enough access privileges for this operation." error, even after I have set permissions in ~/Music/iTunes and /Shared

I'm still receiving this error message upon opening iTunes; also upon trying to sync with iphone "There was an error storing your authorization information on this computer." I have changed permissions in my ~/Music/iTunes folder and /Shared folders per ticket number TS1277 via both finder and terminal (chmod). Any other directory iTunes looks into for permissions?

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 12:17 PM

Solved: Problem persisted after installing iTunes 10.6.1 and Snow Leopard update 10.7.3. A SSD drive was recently added (per Whitson Gordon, using this bracket to mount SSD), with Snow Leopard, the Darwin kernel and /applications on the SSD (leveraging the SSD for fast boot times) and all other libraries, documents, music, etc on the original macintosh hard disk. Per TS1277 there was a shared folder in /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users, the same drive my music is stored on. iTunes (however) looks at the same drive it lives on (SSD) for the shared folder (/Volumes/SSD boot disk/Users/Shared). This shared folder was created according to the above ticket and iTunes can again download from the store.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2012 12:17 PM in response to suttertm

Solved: Problem persisted after installing iTunes 10.6.1 and Snow Leopard update 10.7.3. A SSD drive was recently added (per Whitson Gordon, using this bracket to mount SSD), with Snow Leopard, the Darwin kernel and /applications on the SSD (leveraging the SSD for fast boot times) and all other libraries, documents, music, etc on the original macintosh hard disk. Per TS1277 there was a shared folder in /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users, the same drive my music is stored on. iTunes (however) looks at the same drive it lives on (SSD) for the shared folder (/Volumes/SSD boot disk/Users/Shared). This shared folder was created according to the above ticket and iTunes can again download from the store.

Apr 21, 2012 5:29 PM in response to suttertm

Thank you suttertm! I had this exact same problem with the exact same situation (SSD as boot drive with ~/ on second HDD in optical bay), and after trying my darnedest to fix the permissions on ~/Music/iTunes/ and below, this solved my problem. I created a symbolic link in /Users/ that pointed to /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/Shared and all the error messages went away.

Really the error message is wrong, because it's neither a permissions problem nor a problem with a directory/file within ~/Music/iTunes. Huh.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Aug 14, 2012 12:44 PM in response to suttertm

This issue also occours when restoring the system using from TimeMachine image without a fresh install in Mountain Lion.

In the restore process only the active users are created, and the lack of /Users/Shared folder will prevent iTunes from runing correctly.

Following the instructions from TS1277 will fix the issue.

Doing a fresh install an then restoring the image should prevent this issue.

Thankyou all

"You do not have enough access privileges for this operation." error, even after I have set permissions in ~/Music/iTunes and /Shared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.