Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete previous "updates" from my hard drive?

I'm trying to free up space, and notice that on my hard drive, under "Updates" there are several. Screen shot below. My question is this: can I delete some of them? Would the most recent update be all I need to retain?

Thanks in advance!

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 1:55 PM

This stuff I think is related to the "receipts" a .pkg installer leaves behind (although most of that stuff is in /var/db/receipts).

If you want to experiment temporarily remove all that stuff and see what happens.

Why do you care that it is there at all? If you are so low on disk space that this amount would make a difference you have a much bigger problem.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2012 1:55 PM in response to Layne

This stuff I think is related to the "receipts" a .pkg installer leaves behind (although most of that stuff is in /var/db/receipts).

If you want to experiment temporarily remove all that stuff and see what happens.

Why do you care that it is there at all? If you are so low on disk space that this amount would make a difference you have a much bigger problem.

Mar 9, 2012 4:17 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Actually Kurt, now that I remember, wasn't that location for updates deprecated after the early days of Snow Leopard in favor of Sys Prefs>Software Update>Installed Software? In my system, I'm seeing only a handful of relatively early updates there, with the rest in the Sys Prefs location.

Mar 9, 2012 8:10 PM in response to Kurt Lang

That's interesting Kurt because I have always used Software Update, except on one occasion when a standalone wasn't available, only to see what's available, never to download or install. The presence of these in my system is a mystery then. A failed download or install from a standalone wouldn't go there, only those via SU?

Mar 10, 2012 1:35 AM in response to Layne

Updates go to </Library/Updates>; that includes some receipts.

Receipts (not all) for installed updates go to </Library/Receipts>. They will have the same icon and .pkg file name extension as updates, but they're different.

You shouldn't touch items in </Library/Receipts>.

You may delete items in </Library/Updates>. However, you show those items as totalling 300MB. That's not even peanuts, that's sunflower seeds. You will gain nothing, and you're wasting your time on such trivialities; moreover, as a rule of thumb, you shouldn't delete anything from </Library> unless you know exactly what it does and why you won't ever need it.

Get an app like GrandPerspective, or WhatSize, or OmniDiskSweeper. Then you'll be able to figure out what is worth your time deleting to free space on your hard disk.

Mar 10, 2012 7:08 AM in response to Layne

Thanks to everyone for your input. I've studied all answers and am a much more informed user. I think that, in the end, I will simply leave it all alone. As X42342 pointed out:

I currently have sufficient, although not ample, space. Tampering with system files is something I'd probably live to regret.

Again, a very interesting exchange of ideas. Thanks!

Can I delete previous "updates" from my hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.